UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2017, 7:27 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: CPC, components out of stock - packaging overkill.

Most recent overkill for me was 10 small SMD chips in about the first 2" of a 2' long antistatic tube. The tube was then bubble wrapped and came in a box like a two foot long shoebox! A small brown envelope would have been fine or even firmly taped to a postcard!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Apr 2017, 8:37 pm   #22
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Ah yes, the airbags used for packaging. We used to have a wonderful fun-filled five minutes jumping on them at work and making them explode when a parcel arrived with them inside.
I do hope you unpacked everything that you wanted from those parcels and didn't just jump on them before opening!
Colin.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 9:21 pm   #23
Dai Corner
Hexode

CPC used to send me their 4000 page catalogue when I ordered for them for work, spending hundreds of pounds a month. We called it 'the bible'. Unfortunately, now I'm retired and only place the occasional personal order I only get the small catalogues. They make good bedtime reading though.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 10:01 pm   #24
Biggles
Rest in Peace

We did, Colin. I always thought it would be a good idea to fill the bags with helium then they would be cheaper to post, as the parcel would be lighter.
Alan.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 10:06 pm   #25
MrBungle
Dekatron

I'd rather they put crisps in there
Old 26th Apr 2017, 10:16 pm   #26
Biggles
Rest in Peace

One supplier used to put a little complementary bag of sweets in with the goods. There was always a bit of a scramble among the technicians to find it first if a parcel arrived. I can't remember who it was. May have been CPC.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 5:36 am   #27
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I find Farnell's search engine ok, CPC's terrible, though it looks the same engine. RS's is good but lot's of their stuff is OOS, which is a shame as RS is a more vintage tinkerer friendly.

I save the air bags for re - use and had saved quite a few up in the shed. One day I heard bangs coming from the shed, went to investigate and found my daughter and her pain in the a**e friend in there. Her friend had happily popped my stash of air bags, bless her. She's painted my soap with nail polish, but that's another story. She's a bit like the child in the popular ditty, "My Brother" .

To me old packaging is precious ( though I don't go around hunchbacked rubbing my hands muttering under my breath) I hoard it to re use, my shed is full of boxes and don't mention my padded envelope stash. It's a bit mad really. To employee's at CPC et al it's a free unlimited resource so you can understand when they're a bit liberal with it.

Still, wrapping each R is CPC policy like a lot of sweet makers these days they wrap each sweet in a multipack individually, another thing that drives me nuts, makes me roll my eyes and knash my teeth. : ) Still havn't heard back from CPC, re packageing.

Andy.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 7:00 am   #28
dsergeant
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
One supplier used to put a little complementary bag of sweets in with the goods. There was always a bit of a scramble among the technicians to find it first if a parcel arrived. I can't remember who it was. May have been CPC.
Chas Hyde, sadly no longer around. At one time they were nice chocolate ones with special ones at Christmas, but that didn't last either.

Dave
Old 27th Apr 2017, 1:00 pm   #29
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Does anyone know the import duty/VAT situation for Mouser/Digikey? Occasionally they are the only places that have stock I want.
I prefer Mouser over Digikey as Mouser take care of all the import duty and VAT before it reaches you. I haven't ordered from Digikey for a few years now as the last time I tried, I had all sorts of problems with customs duty and VAT payment.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 3:32 pm   #30
MrBungle
Dekatron

Thanks for the info. I'll do a mouser order next time I need something and see what happens
Old 30th Apr 2017, 5:27 am   #31
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Digikey do too. No problem with customs.

Andy.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 9:02 am   #32
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The only time I used Mouser, the shipment took quite a while to arrive. From memoey it was routed from their US HQ to Paris, and then to their UK distribution centre for onward delivery. A direct flight from the USA to London would have been quicker and more efficient, IMHO, but that's the way they work, or did a couple of years ago.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 10:10 am   #33
MrBungle
Dekatron

I order a things from Tayda in Thailand occasionally. Takes 8-10 days but I'm quite impressed as you can track it in Thailand and in the UK.

They are completely dishonest when it comes to customs though and all their jiffy bags are pre-printed with "$7 component samples" even if you spend £30.

Have ordered some parts from Mouser. Fingers crossed.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 2:42 pm   #34
Wendymott
Octode

I too order from CPC and I am not now amazed at the waste of packaging.... some bean counter somewhere.... has it in his / her head that one size fits all.
It is ridiculous shipping "AIR"........those giant bubble bags...they are not even useful for reuse...Normal bubble wrap "YES" those airbags NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 30th Apr 2017, 6:45 pm   #35
stevehertz
Dekatron

The packaging - like it or not - is all to do with money. Based on the overall order profile (small orders, big orders etc) someone has worked out that that is the cheapest, and overall, the 'best' way to store and ship. It may look like a 'waste of money' to the guy buying a few components - or even - as has been pointed out, the guy buying loads of diodes, but rest assured, it will be the best way for them, the most profitable.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 8:22 pm   #36
vidjoman
Dekatron

I'm sure they will have a contract price based on the box size and annual quantity of items for carriage which will be much cheaper that you or I would have to pay.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 8:52 pm   #37
stevehertz
Dekatron

Your point being..
Old 30th Apr 2017, 9:02 pm   #38
McMurdo
Dekatron

CPC are owned by the Farnell group, and they in turn are all owned by US giant 'Avnet'. But Farnell's distribution centres are in Leeds and Belgium, and CPCs is in Preston in Lancashire. Sometimes stuff from CPC comes in a Farnell bag with CPCs sticker over it and vice versa.

Lots of stuff from the big suppliers I find are out of stock, RS being perhaps the biggest culprit. But it's hard times for electronics suppliers. Rapid's change of owner (now part of German firm Conrad) is mixed blessings for me. Conrad's huge inventory is available with free delivery if part of a Rapid order, and it arrives quickly.
One of the few TV parts companies I use from time to time is Wiltsgrove, now that CHS has gone.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 9:09 pm   #39
Radio Wrangler

The post office did it I suppose.

Once upon a time we paid for postage based on weight. It was simple.

Then some new genius put in charge of things did some theorising and decided to also charge based on the other three physical dimensions as well. So now your package has to pass through holes in a template to prove it isn't too big for a specific cost of service. There are several costs and each has maximum dimensions and a maximum weight.

Now, say you are a packaging manufacturer. Is there any point in making a package any smaller than the smallest size? If you did, it wouldn't save on postage costs. Is there any point making packages between the larger sizes? Nope!

So in an attempt to make more cash from larger packages, the sizes of ALL packages have now been quantized up to the maximum of each cost band.

There is a theory which says that smaller things usually outnumber larger things. Increasing the bulk of the smaller things could well rob all the profit from cashing in on the smaller number of large but low density items.

In changing how market is approached, it is well to understand that the market will change in response to the new approach.

Perhaps we should all have bought shares in bubble wrap and air pillow firms?

Just a quck edit... I forgot about the increased cost of having to check the dimensions of every package posted to catch anyone cheating.

David
Old 30th Apr 2017, 11:20 pm   #40
MrBungle
Dekatron

I've noticed stuff from the Far East is always priced based on weight and thought it quite sensible.

A few years ago I wrote some software for a large well known retailer that analysed couriers and royal mail and came up with the cheapest delivery cost to the retailer for each transaction. Rather complicated. Was even down to approximate volume calculation and packaging selection.

Royal Mail rarely won.
Closed Thread