UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2017, 9:15 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Singer sewing machines

If there is anyone here who is interested in Sewing Machines then I have come across a 1967 price list for Singer.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	singer.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	136904  
Attached Files
File Type: zip singer.zip (308.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 11:23 am   #2
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Singer sewing machines

Very interesting! The average wage in 1967 was £21/7 a week.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 11:39 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

£21/7/- (£21.35) sounds a pretty good weekly wage for 1967. I started on less than that in 1971 - and I thought I was in a well-paid job (in a computer department).
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 1:50 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

If you can get hold of a copy of the 1988 JMB General Studies A-level paper, there was a question on there that included a good explanation of chainstitch and lockstitch machines.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 3:35 pm   #5

My Pfaff cost 400 quid a few years ago, not too bad a comparison with Singer prices in 1967.

Old 3rd Feb 2017, 3:40 pm   #6
paulsherwin

In the 1930s a top of the range machine like a Singer 201K3 cost as much as a small car, or a tenth the cost of a house. They were mostly bought on HP and were expected to last a lifetime of heavy use, making clothes for the family and sometimes being used for commercial piece work at home.

I still have my great grandmother's Jones Family CS from 1898. It has obviously seen a huge amount of use over the years but still sews quite well. It's not electric of course, though an external motor could be fitted.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 4:49 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have a treadle Singer machine which belonged to my paternal grandmother (and possibly her mother before her). As with the Joneses, these could be upgraded with an external electric motor to replace the treadle or hand crank, the motor being operated by a foot control - so at least one foot still had something to do once it was no longer operating the treadle.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 5:11 pm   #8
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Hello All,

I have a Singer Fiddle base with the Acanthus decoration. Works very well for it's age.
Some of the original decals have worn a bit, but it's probably had a busy life.

Alan.
Old 4th Feb 2017, 10:34 am   #9
electronicskip
Nonode

I used to work in the Charity sector for many years, and you won't believe the amount of old crank Singer sewing machines we were given, I'm talking about 1000's over the years.

I think the survival rate must be pretty high, but obviously Singer made millions of the units.

As for value, generally not particulary high with some exceptions, generally the small Jones equivalent is collectible more so.

We did get a fair amount with the electric conversion kits too
Old 6th Feb 2017, 12:10 pm   #10
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I did see one in a charity shop for £85. The problem is, I see them for sale all the time at a market and pick them up for about £15. I have about 10 of them, crank singers mostly.
Old 7th Feb 2017, 1:37 pm   #11
electronicskip
Nonode

I think we used to get about £20ish on average depending on condition, although some people would actually buy them to use them as they didn't like the modern ones.
Old 7th Feb 2017, 1:45 pm   #12
paulsherwin

I use a 1934 Singer 201k as my main machine.

Pre 1960s Singer and Jones machines are bargains for anyone interested in plain machine sewing. They are cast iron and steel throughout and last forever if not abused or neglected. The quality of stitching is usually better than all but the best modern machines.
Old 8th Feb 2017, 7:50 pm   #13
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

As I have a handful of sewing machines, it was about time I used one, I have crank, pedal and knee controlled singers.
I decided to make something for the wife, I didn't want to use a very old machine, so I used a 411G and yes it was another £10 machine.
The pedal went up in smoke at one point, but I just removed the burnt out cap and ran it without.
I proved I can use a sewing machine and she got a 60's style cape, as she likes that type of thing.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 5:12 pm   #14
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Pre 1960s Singer and Jones machines are bargains for anyone interested in plain machine sewing. They are cast iron and steel throughout and last forever if not abused or neglected. The quality of stitching is usually better than all but the best modern machines.
You can get attachments for the straight stitch types that allow them to do most of the things a modern swing needle one will. The main difference is they are so over engineered they will probably continue to do so for the next 100 years.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:18 pm   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

My local charity shop declined my late mother's 15K Singer a couple of years ago as they said its exposed belt meant that they were not allowed to sell it as it was deemed unsafe. We had no room for it, but its motor and attachments found homes with forum members. Only later did I find that another charity accepts them for export to the Third World.
Closed Thread