UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 4:59 pm   #1
longneck90
Hexode

Default OTH2 as EM35 replacement?

Hello to everyone. I was hoping that some of the Forum members might have information about the following. Recently, I sent to a Russian valve company for a replacement for EM35. Consequently, a OTH2 arrived. I installed OTH2 and switched on radio.
When the radio warmed up, I felt something was not quite right. After about 40 seconds, the tuned station disappeared, and at the same time I thought I felt as if something was heating up, and switched radio off. I removed OTH2, switched radio on again, and it is working OK. The OTH2 did not exhibit any green signal light when expected to. I am unable to find out any information about OTH2, to compare it with EM35. I was wondering, therefore, if any Forum members know anything about OTH2, or whether it is a proper replacement for EM35. Thanks in advance, all the best. John.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 5:05 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: EM35 replacement

I've not heard of either valve. Are you sure EM35 is right? What model set are you working on?
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 5:22 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: EM35 replacement

Some info on the EM35 here.

I don't know the OTH2 though.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 5:46 pm   #4
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: OTH2 as EM35 replacement?

The grid and target pins are transposed between some of the octal based tuning indicators. It's essential to check before making substitutions.

Leon.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:01 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

Are there any other markings on the valve? Some Russian valves have a prominent "OTK(number)" approval mark on the base and a somewhat faint type identification on the bulb.

(Perhaps "Office of the Technical Commissariat"?)

Last edited by turretslug; 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:28 pm.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:48 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Judging by the comments on the Radiomuseum site it would seem that other substitutes are not pin compatible. You'll need info on both valves before swapping them. A base rewire is most likely necessary.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 1:30 pm   #7
longneck90
Hexode

Hello, and thanks to all who responded to my query about EM 35 'substitute'. EM 35 is in the Nordmende Tannhauser radio. The identity markings on OTH2 are almost gone now, and so I am unable to photograph them. There are no other markings. If I knew the Pin data, and voltages of OTH2, I could rewire base. But... so far, I can't find anything about OTH2. Anyway, thanks again. All the best. John.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 2:11 pm   #8
Alistair D
Nonode

The only thing I found was this..

http://www.tubebooks.org/Russian.htm

Looks like it be a bit of a laborious task though.

Al
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 2:41 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

One of the most common Russian magic eye valves is the 6E5c, I'm wondering if the OP's valve is one of them, some details about the different pin connections here (scroll down):

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_em34.html

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 7:16 pm   #10
cmjones01
Nonode

The 'OTH' marking is most likely 'OTK': the 'K' on photos of Russian valves I've seen does look very much like an H. I think this is the approval marking, not the valve type. A 6E5C is the most likely candidate.

Chris
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 8:40 pm   #11
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to everyone, and thanks for all the information about EM35/OTH2. I looked at Radiomuseum, under EM35, and I do see information including pinout, about valve 6E5C, which I am now convinced, is the new valve I have. (the valve that is marked OTH2). I can see that the pinout is different from EM35, and so, will change wiring. I don't know why I ordered this valve (OTH2 ?) in the first place, as I could have got the proper valve here in GB cheaper. Thanks again to everyone. All the best. John.
Closed Thread