UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2017, 1:31 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Type 11 Pine Cabinet

I was wondering if, please, wooden cabinet restoration enthusiasts could keep me straight.
I've a current thread running in "Test Equipment" about an Air Ministry Oscilloscope Type 11", (originally owned by "electronwilly"). Please peruse. Electronics finished, and I'm now starting on the old pine cabinet. Yes - who would have imagined a wooden oscilloscope from the 1940's !
The surface is covered in a dirty grey gloss finish with a light grey undercoat/primer. Rather scratched & pitted. Thankfully - no worm damage at all. Thought I'd practice first on the rear hinged access panel. Scrubbed all the crud off first with meths soaked kitchen tissue. My heat gun and a scraper(used gently) have removed the gloss. More scrubbing with white tissue/meths has removed most of the primer, and a gentle application of some P60 grit paper has helped. What should I do next to prepare it for a coat of clear lacquer ?
The pine looks like a light redwood, or jack pine which has a more yellow tint. Too hard for cheapo white wood, and not hard enough or dark enough for pitch pine. But anyway - a lovely grained appearance.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMScope Type 11(v).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	137576   Click image for larger version

Name:	AM Scope Type 11(u).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	137577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Type 11 Pine Cabinet (a).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	137578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Type 11 Pine Cabinet (b).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	137579  
Old 13th Feb 2017, 3:09 pm   #2

Default Re: Type 11 Pine Cabinet

Lots of sanding going down to 400 grit, then sanding sealer and more sanding. Then a few coats of proper smelly varnish, sanding between coats when dry. Leave a day between coats. There is no shortcut to a good finish.

Old 13th Feb 2017, 3:21 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Might be worth sealing all surfaces, otherwise it might warp or cracks might open up.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 5:06 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough Guys, I expect this will be a lengthy process. Thankfully I've a decent range of grit paper. I seem to remember that I've an old tin of proper smelly varnish somewhere.
The panel, you will see has an old lengthwise crack in it. Into which some reluctant paint remains. Thankfully, the panel is cross-braced on the inside & there is no movement. Also, looking at the bottom r/h corner, there is some deep indentations which have been painted over at some time. Me thinks that very gentle sanding with a Dremel tiny sander might do the trick. What say you ? I'll take things very slowly on this panel, in the hope that I'll have discovered any pitfalls before I start on the main cabinet. I suspect that the mortise & tennon jointing of the four sides will retain some stubborn paint.

Regards, David
Old 13th Feb 2017, 5:15 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Trying to locally sand imperfections out usually results in a larger imperfection, especially if the final finish is gloss, fill and sand with a large sanding block would be better, on the DIY front I've not long finished scrimming and sanding a load of tapered edge plasterboard dry lining joints, I always use ready mixed easysand filler, sands like a dream without sanding out the material either side of it, it's not what I call hard stuff but it's hard enough for painting on.

Good luck whichever.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 7:55 pm   #6
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

Hi David, apologies if this sounds like teaching grandma to suck eggs but I've recently finished a turntable plinth made from two thicknesses of solid wood worktop. I chose to use the old varnish which has a High VOCS warning on the tin as I think that if you wish to achieve a high gloss finish the modern water based products are rubbish. I found a small tin in Poundstretchers or Poundland or Home Bargains, I forget which, that carried that warning and only cost £1. It was made in India and after applying 6 coats, left to dry for a day in between and then rubbed back with 800 grit wet or dry I was rewarded with a lovely glass like finish. I would advise that the first coat be thinned 50/50 with white spirit, the second coat 75/25 and then further coats full strength. To obviate any nibs it is advisable to pour the varnish through a suitable strainer, I use an old pair of my wife's tights, which were killing me anyway. Finally, if you do use this varnish, please ensure there's ample ventilation as the fumes are the worst I've ever come across. I'll try and attach a photo of the finished plinth if possible, cheers, Malc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1603.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	137666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	137667  
Old 14th Feb 2017, 8:56 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

David,
I'm not sure why you want to varnish this!

It was doubtless originally painted in 'Airforce Blue', grey with a blue tinge, so in my book, as a historic item, it should be so repainted.

Otherwise it's just not restoration!

Andy
Old 14th Feb 2017, 9:25 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

I was wondering that too. It's a piece of history, a piece of military equipment. Clear varnishing over stripped pine will make it look like an Ikea piece - no offence meant but it will. I'd paint it as near as I could to the original finish. But, we're all different.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:03 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Malc, that solid worktop base looks lovely. I managed to locate an ancient tin of VALSPAR Clear Varnish, and have just put on one coat on the rear panel. As well as working my way up to P600 sanding blocks, I also did some gentle "razor blading" with a small but very sharp hobbyist scalpel - to remove the most stubborn of the tiny remains of grey primer. Anyway, a lovely smooth surface resulted. That thin lengthwise crack still remains, though. If nothing else, the varnish will make a good key for some grey primer.
Right enough Andy & Steve, I should consider the restoration principals, and return the cabinet to its RAF grey. I'll move on to the main cabinet & do as you advise. I'll get back to the rear panel later, and see if it looks silly by comparison. Nobody would likely see it anyway.
All my other ex RAF restorations/renovations have been painted grey.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Type 11 Pine Cabinet (c).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	137681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Type 11 Pine Cabinet (d).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	137682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Type 11 Pine Cabinet (e).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	137683  
Old 15th Feb 2017, 9:33 am   #10
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

David,
I'm very pleased that you'll repaint it as built!
(I liked Steve's reference to it otherwise looking like an Ikea piece).
Andy
Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:23 am   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

I seem to have a "thing" about working with pine. Hence the initial plans upon seeing the lovely grain underneath the crudy paint. Our first house, back in the 70's, was timbered framed, which I built myself. The framing was basic WW o/s, but the staircase was Parana pine, as was some long bookshelves. A few years back I acquired several long lengths of 2nd hand 2.5" x 9" pitch pine. Very scarce these days.
The base plates of several 1920's TRF's & Xtal sets have been pine, but with hardwood cabinets. Mahogany & Oak is also lovely to work with. Out of all these woods, though, pitch pine has the most evocative of smells when cut.

Regards, David
Closed Thread