UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2004, 4:35 pm   #1
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reviving Black Crackle paint

Some of my communication receivers had a black crackle finish which was turning greyish and dull with age.

I first washed, and rinsed the front panels. After they were dry, I applied a mixture of gloss black enamel paint thinned with an equal amount of thinner on a pad of lint free cloth (a piece of old washed out vest). There was just enough paint on the pad to wet the old paint but not enough to leave liquid in the bottom of the crackle. This is because any excess paint would form a rounded meniscus over the crackle and spoil the look of the crackle - you get a black wrinkle effect.

Of course you should test out the technique on a inconspicuous place like the bottom surface of the cabinet to be sure you have the hang of it.

The final result was a sparkling like new crackle finish.

This general paint application will also put a coating over any silkscreened legends but they can be cleaned up with an artistic application of a cotton tipped swab moistened with paint thinner.

This cleanup should be done just before the black paint dries.

John.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 10:56 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 7th Sep 2004, 5:18 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Reviving Black Crackle paint

Hi Gents, I've had success with a VERY light spray mist from a car aerosol, especially on the brown that was used on early Melody Makers and the like.
Ed
Old 10th Mar 2005, 10:09 pm   #3
gordon taylor
Retired Dormant Member

About 4 years ago I restored an R1155 and got exellent results with a car
dashboard aerosol BLACK WRINKLE paint from HYCOTE; the stockist can be
obtained by calling 0161 6270983,my 400ml can cost approx 10 pounds.
best of results gordon.
Old 11th Mar 2005, 10:53 pm   #4
gordon taylor
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Reviving Black Crackle paint

HI the telephone number and name I gave out yesterday could have
changed, viz; JAMES BRIGGS Ltd 0L2 6HZ 0161 6270101
cherio Gordon
Old 12th Mar 2005, 9:50 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Wrinkle (not crackle, which is a different thing altogether*) paint as used on AR88s, R1155s, and many others is fairly widely available in aerosol form - Frost in Rochdale do it, and it is also stocked by some motor factors.
What John was doing, though, was reviving the original finish - best approach if the finish is just discoloured but sound.

*Crackle finish is that where the top coat has shrunk, leaving 'breaks' - looks like crazy paving.
Old 25th May 2005, 9:05 am   #6
Geoff Sherratt
Tetrode

Default Re: Wrinkle paint

Same subject but different colour!
I have a couple of old radios, almost identical made by the Magneta Time Recording Co. One is in Army green and the other is Air Force blue, both wrinkle finish. It appears that Hycote is only available in black. Anyone got any ideas as to alternative suppliers or possible 'home hatched' solutions? The alternative is that I do them in black, as the original paint is too far gone to restore.
Geoff
Old 25th May 2005, 10:37 am   #7
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

You could try here:-

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/s...eyword=wrinkle

You may be able to pick the nearest shade, to give the wrinkle effect, and then spray over with a smooth colour to match. Some experiment clearly needed! . A good list of paint suppliers is on the Radiocraft site:-

http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/director...onprojects.htm

Good luck. .

Regards, Mick
Old 25th May 2005, 11:45 am   #8
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wrinkle paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sherratt
Same subject but different colour!
I have a couple of old radios, almost identical made by the Magneta Time Recording Co. One is in Army green and the other is Air Force blue, both wrinkle finish. It appears that Hycote is only available in black. Anyone got any ideas as to alternative suppliers or possible 'home hatched' solutions? The alternative is that I do them in black, as the original paint is too far gone to restore.
Geoff

Hi Geoff

You might have some luck here... Hammerite Paints ... I hope so.

Regards

Gavin
Old 25th May 2005, 12:19 pm   #9
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Errr - Sorry ... That link in my previous post does not immediately seem to be much help... At one time I'm sure that all hammerite paint was crinkle finish... but now they do smooth paints [also?] and it is unclear which paint is a 'hammer' finish. Perhaps it is still worth further investigation.

There might be some points of interest in this thread from another forum: Crinkle Finishes

Gavin
Closed Thread