UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 9:30 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default KB Rhapsody identification.

I have often found there can be difficulties in identifying the particular model of the KB Rhapsody range of radios. Below is an extract from the CRTS SERVICE BULLETIN Issue 2, Nov 1964.
As Kevin (Brightsparkey) has recently found with his MP151, the models are not always distinct from each other and there can be some variation when KB were changing from one model to another, but I hope the following helps.

Spares Order Department
Whilst we appreciate the Sales value in perpetuating the name of a popular seller, it cannot be denied that this results in considerable confusion in our Order Department. For example, the ‘“ RHAPSODY ” covers no less than fifteen different models and the following hints may help our customers in identification where the label has been defaced or lost from the chassis :

Model No: Identification

MP 151 ; Open MW & LW Oscillator coils.

MP151/1 ; Isolated chassis. Finished at serial No: 60000. Mains plug, large circular fitted centre cabinet back. Heater current adjusted by slider resistance.

MP151/2 ; Serial Nos. over 60000. Heater current controlled by potentiometer fitted with knob. Mains plug small flat type fitted to right side cabinet back.

MP151/3 ; Conventional mains dropper discarded and substituted by individual Welwyn type resistors.

PP251 ; Wooden cabinet and chassis may be either the MP151/2 or /3.

OP21 ; The first transistorised Rhapsody and identifiable by the rod aerial which is 5/16th” diameter with the MW winding widely spaced.

PP31 ; As OP21! but with fabric covered wood cabinet.

OP21A & PP3IA ; As above but fitted with Car aerial socket with additional winding on ferrite rod. Incidentally, this rod aerial assembly is now used for all four models, the car aerial winding should be left disconnected when used in OP21 and OP31.

OP21/1 ; Ferrite rod 5/8th” diameter. Tuning condenser spindle hexagonal.

PP31/1 ; As OP21/1 with fabric covered wood cabinet.

UP21 ; Tuning condenser spindle “D” shaped. Wave change and on/off switch of improved block design.
Please note this model may be fitted with either 5/8th” or 5/16th” diameter rod aerial assembly. Part Nos. 682/30 and 682/31 respectively. When ordering this component
please quote size of Rod. Due to the similarity in appearance between OP21/1 and UP2I, we receive many incorrect orders.

UP31 ; As UP21 with fabric covered wood cabinet.

VP21 ; Thin ferrite rod with windings mounted on paxolin tube. 8 transistors.

VP31 ; As VP21 with fabric covered wood cabinet.

Mike

p.s. I am sure I have posted this somewhere before but could not find it. The full document will be added to the KB Museum.

Last edited by crackle; 5th Jul 2019 at 9:36 am.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:43 am   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KB Rhapsody identification.

I have added the Service Bulletins I have to the KB Museum.
http://www.kbmuseum.org.uk/kb&crts_s..._bulletins.htm

If anyone has any more I am happy to include them if they can either scan and send me the files or send the documents to me.

thanks
Mike
Closed Thread