UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2019, 11:32 pm   #1
Tiggermoth
Triode

Default Sidetone volume on Icom IC-260 - help

Hello all,

I have an old Icom IC-260E, a 2m multimode radio. It's working reasonably well but unfortunately the CW sidetone volume is incredibly loud.

I can't for the life of me see how to turn that sidetone volume down. The sidetone volume is also unaffected by the main volume control on the front panel.

I have read the manual, and in the section "CW Operation" (page 21) is says:

"The loudness of this tone is adjusted by rotating CW MONI Control, located on the main unit inside cover"

The trouble is, I cannot see a "CW MONI" when I take the covers off (top and bottom).

Any help please would be much appreciated as I'd love to give CW a good bash on 2m.

Many thanks 73
Trystan G0KAY
Old 28th Jun 2019, 9:27 am   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Sidetone volume on Icom IC-260 - help

Deleted what I originally wrote - plain wrong. sorry. I thought I could see the needed pot but the manual explains it is something else.

Now I'm going to give it another go. Go to the the Rigpix page for IC260 where there are some nice pictures.

http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic260e.htm

On the underside you can see the area where the AF amp is located. There is a 6way connector with 1x screened cable and 4 other wires in it,
just behind the main tuning control. Next door is a good size grey potentiometer. That will be it for my money. It is not given a call out in the diagram in the manual. (This is close to the connector for the loud speaker which is on the bottom lid)

Good luck.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 28th Jun 2019 at 9:39 am.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 11:48 am   #3
Tiggermoth
Triode

Jon,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated that you've gone to the trouble of looking for me.

I've also had a reply on QRZ that it is "R180" with a picture of the PCB.

So, to help others find it:

Flip the radio upside down and remove the lower cover.
Position the radio so that the knobs are to your left.
Go to where the big round hole is for the loudspeaker on the PCB.
To the left and down a bit is a small white plastic potentiometer. (it looks grey in the photograph)
Turn anticlockwise to reduce sidetone volume.

Yes - it certainly is the one that you've got your money on! Well done - brilliant, thank you .

Thanks again,
Trystan
Old 28th Jun 2019, 1:14 pm   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Glad it was the right one. Yes I have seen that type of pot with both grey and white plastic tops.
Regards
Old 1st Jul 2019, 11:19 am   #5
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

good shout.

I did a picture.

Theyre a nice little chunky radio.

Ive picked one up for use with a 6m transverter, but Ive just gone and ordered an SG-Labs 23cm transverter, so it may see some use for /P hilltopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic260e_inside_bottom.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	185990  
Closed Thread