UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2018, 9:14 pm   #1
dekor8tor
Triode

Default Garrard SP25 MK3 help please.

Hi all.

I have got a never used Garrard SP25 MK3 in original box, never been opened.

I have just fitted it to my Hacker Gondolier GP42 replacing the 2025 deck. The problem I have got is when I push the lever over to auto nothing happens.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Station X; 5th May 2018 at 9:31 pm. Reason: Title made more meaningful. Capitalisation.
Old 5th May 2018, 9:30 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP25 MK3 help please.

The grease has probably hardened over the years, the motor may be stuck, etc. It will probably require a service before putting into use. See the stickies on repairing decks.

Before that what checks have done yourself on the fault?
Old 5th May 2018, 9:35 pm   #3
dekor8tor
Triode

Hi, thanks for that.

Turntable turns on and powers up. I have removed the platter and turned the gear which operates the arm.
Old 5th May 2018, 10:33 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Pushing the auto button moves a small lever to engage that gear, if you watch the parts while moving the lever you hopefully see what is not moving.

Have a read of the sticky about how the velocity trip works, it’s all connected.
Old 6th May 2018, 1:32 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

You have to hold the lever across just a fraction longer to start a record playing, than to cut short a record being played.

On the 2025, which is almost the same deck but with a stacking spindle and overarm, the same decision would be made by the vertical position of the overarm; if it has dropped below the spindle shelf, there are no more records on the stack to play, so shut off; otherwise, drop a record and begin playing it.
Old 10th May 2018, 5:08 pm   #6
dekor8tor
Triode

Hi all thanks for replying to my problem which is now solved and the deck is working a trear now
As you all said the grease had hardened so a little clean and regrease everything working as it should
Once again thankyou for your help and comments they are greatly appreciated thankyou
Closed Thread