UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2018, 2:37 pm   #1
Mitchvan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity HF42/45 Volume problems (newbie)

Hi, I am a Newbie so please bear with me.

I have just got my grans old Fidelity HF45 up and running (with the aid of WD40 and a new stylus).

The mechanism works well but the volume has issues.

1. There is a hum - It could be a mains hum, or dodgy capacitors - I have ordered replacement bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor and a few other which I will fit. I can live with the hum but the volume is dodgy.

2. Volume is all or nothing - The volume control is just has a no sound at all (except static crackles and noises) until you get the knob to about half way then there is a millimetre of full volume, the nothing to the other end of the dial. When I turn it off the player at the socket and turn the dial slowly I hear a click just before half way. I can't help thinking it is an issue with the knob itself but as I say I am a newbie with no electrical experience. Can you buy new volume controls if so from where?

3. Tone is practically useless - it has little or no effect on the sound. It does sometime work by dulling the full volume millimetre....

I am assuming the cartridge is fine or there would be no sound at all

Question - there is a red, white, green and black wire on the arm. Only two are connected is this correct?

Please help.

Thanks
Ian
Old 1st May 2018, 5:03 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity HF42/45 Volume problems (newbie)

The fact that only 2 wires are connected is quite correct as you have a mono (not stereo) cartridge. The volume and tone control issues might mean they just need cleaning with a spray contract cleaner like Servisol. Which Fidelity record player is it - an HF42 or an HF45? They are quite different.
Old 1st May 2018, 10:02 pm   #3
Mitchvan
Retired Dormant Member

It is a HF45 but I believe the PCB has HF42 on it. Where do I get servisol from and where do I spray it into or onto please?
Thanks for your help
Old 1st May 2018, 11:02 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchvan View Post
Hi, I am a Newbie so please bear with me.

I have just got my grans old Fidelity HF45 up and running (with the aid of WD40 and a new stylus).
Well done for getting this far, but WD40 is not good for mechanisms. It's primarily a moisture repellent, and will soon dry up, and you'll be back where you started, with sticking levers etc. Use a light oil, sewing machine or hair clipper oil is ideal, NOT 3-in-1, though, that also dries out quickly.
Old 1st May 2018, 11:23 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

One source of Servisol

http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/1000.../dp/SASERVISOL

You need to spray a small amount into to the volume and tone controls with the power supply disconnected, only apply power when the solvents have evaporated. After spraying Servisol into the control, rotate the control a few times to clean the parts. Note examine the control carefully so the spray the correct area.

If there is a on/off switch on of the controls, avoid getting the spray into the switch portion.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:09 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It soulds like your Fidelity HF45 has been fitted with the amplifier from the much smaller, single play, plastic cased, HF42. These HF42's always played loud for their size so it may sound OK in the much larger wooden cabinet of an HF45.
Old 2nd May 2018, 4:14 pm   #7
Mitchvan
Retired Dormant Member

Ordered the Servisol, let's see if it helps. Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 7:52 pm   #8
Mitchvan
Retired Dormant Member

It has improved it but it is still has no low end volume. Tone has improved.
Old 12th May 2018, 9:28 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What do you mean by "no low end volume" - do you mean there is no real bass response or just poor overall volome?
Old 13th May 2018, 6:03 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
...The fact that only 2 wires are connected is quite correct as you have a mono (not stereo) cartridge......
The HF42 (and 45) are fitted with BSR X5H(M?) cartridges, which are "Stereo compatible" and will be safe for playing stereo records despite there only being two connections to the cartridge.

Looking at other comments in this thread it's possible that the amplifier PCB was identical for the HF42 and 45 players as they are pretty "basic" units.

Is there any chance of some pictures of the innards of your player?

Andrew
Old 13th May 2018, 7:25 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

They were fitted with the BSR X5M cartridge. The H version would have had too high an output.