UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2004, 6:12 pm   #1
Rob_Lewis

Default HMV 491 dial lamps

Does anyone know what rating these bulbs should be? My left hand one has gone but I intend replacing both as access to them is not madly easy if I remember correctly from the last time I had the back off.

Old 15th Nov 2004, 6:42 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 491 dial lamps

According to the Trader sheet the original rating for the dial lamps was 4 volts @ 0.3 amps, but for operating on AC it is normal practice to use 5 or 6 volt lamps, underunning them in the interest of longer life. .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 3:50 pm.
Old 15th Nov 2004, 8:48 pm   #3
Rob_Lewis

If I under-run them will they not be rather dim? As the backing with the stations on has yellowed with age it's difficult to read already! If they won't be any dimmer I will fit them anyway. Thanks Mick for the prompt post!

Old 15th Nov 2004, 8:57 pm   #4
paulsherwin

You could try 4.5V MES torch bulbs (used in 6V torches).

HTH, Paul
Closed Thread