UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2006, 11:15 pm   #1
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Put some stilts on that chassis!

Sometimes you see vintage radio enthusiasts, who regularly work on large sets, build elaborate fixtures for different chassis' to ease working on them.

My(?) solution is a bit simpler, since it consists of a pair of wide DIY 'U' brackets of 20 x 20mm Aluminium tubing, assembled with pre-fab 90 degree 'knees'. I hit on this idea for making the brackets when strolling the local building materials supplier. These tough plastic knees are usually used for making small step stools, custom tables and the likes. They are plenty strong and rigid for this application, even for supporting a very heavy chassis.

(Of course iron tubing and 5 minutes with an expert welder does the job as well. )

The long, horisontal part of the U is equipped with suitable holes for matching your favorite chassis hole pattern, and the overall dimensions also depends on which sets one intends to fit. The pair shown here are my set for Grundig XXL heavy metal. The height of the 'stilts' shown was chosen to allow mounting a chassis with a tall, rotating ferrite antenna. The weight of the chassis ensures this setup is very stable in all positions.

I equipped each horisontal member with a pair of fairly high screw-on rubber feet. That way the mounting bolts will not marr the table surface, and it is easy to get your hands below the bracket when picking up the chassis.

When mounted in the U brackets, it is child's play to put the chassis on its side or upside down as required.

Photos of contraption follows.

Best regards

Frank N.

Last edited by YC-156; 11th Mar 2006 at 11:27 pm.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 2:08 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Put some stilts on that chassis!

What a neat idea!

Well, that's me off to B&Q then!
Old 12th Mar 2006, 2:15 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Yes, a very useful and simple way to get around the permanent problem of safely supporting upside-down chassis. Like it!
-Tony
Old 12th Mar 2006, 2:22 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Great idea!

You could also do something similar with odd bits of handy angle or dexion angle, especially the smaller 1" stuff. In this case it would probably be better to build 4 sided frames. A possible benefit is that there would already be holes in all conceivable positions.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 3:11 pm   #5
PWH
Heptode

excellent idea! - Just off to make one!
Old 12th Mar 2006, 6:19 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

My thought is that the bottom pieces should really be something with a load of slotted holes. This would make it easier to fit different chassis without having to drill holes each time.

I was thinking of something like the slotted DIN rail used for mounting terminals etc in electrical control cabinets, but don't know if it's strong enough. This stuff http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?sku=ERS35. I'll get a couple of offcuts from work somewhen and try it.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Mar 2006, 6:28 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
I was thinking of something like the slotted DIN rail used for mounting terminals etc in electrical control cabinets, but don't know if it's strong enough. This stuff http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?sku=ERS35. I'll get a couple of offcuts from work somewhen and try it.
Good thought there Paul. DIN rail is very strong indeed, even the slotted "top hat" type, as it is made from about 3mm thick steel with a return on both edges to give a shallow "U" section.

All I need to do now is find some in the chaos which is my garage!

Regards,
Old 12th Mar 2006, 8:03 pm   #8
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I was thinking of something like the slotted DIN rail used for mounting terminals etc in electrical control cabinets, but don't know if it's strong enough.
I would suspect it is strong enough, but perhaps it will flex too much if twisted? That, and not the actual structural strength, seems to be the limiting factor in the usefulness of my 'stilts'. For the size of chassis shown in the photos, I personally wouldn't go for anything less rigid than 20mm aluminium tubing.

Now if something like that was available as square tubing with slots on two adjacent sides...

Best regards

Frank N.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 8:26 pm   #9
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

If I remember right Maplins do some type of construction kit for making computer chassis, that had a lot of holes etc in it

Mike
Old 12th Mar 2006, 9:01 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect
If I remember right Maplins do some type of construction kit for making computer chassis, that had a lot of holes etc in it

Mike
Can you offer any clues what to look for in the catalogue index? I can't find anything under any of the keywords above and can't think what other words to try.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 9:43 pm   #11
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC-156
Now if something like that was available as square tubing with slots on two adjacent sides...
Do you have access to a milling machine? (or even a good strong pillar drill with an end mill). It wouldn't be too hard to mill slots in aluminium section - I've done it by chain drilling and filing in the past, but we now have the luxury of a small mill at work.

Jim.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 9:44 pm   #12
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave, I've looked in the Maplin catalogue and can't find anything either I'll ask in our local store next time I'm there (thats where I saw it originally ) but it will be a couple of days as we're snowed in at the moment

Mike
Old 12th Mar 2006, 11:27 pm   #13
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon
Do you have access to a milling machine? (or even a good strong pillar drill with an end mill). It wouldn't be too hard to mill slots in aluminium section.
Hi Jim,

The brackets shown here were more of a test of the concept, so I didn't get too fancy when drilling the mounting holes. I certainly like Paul's suggestion of having a number of slots for flexibility, but that will have to wait for version II.

I do have access to a strong pillar drill, and might get near a milling machine as well, but these ones were 'thrown together' literally on the black workdesk shown above. Well, the final assembly (hammering everything together) took a concrete floor, two blocks of wood and a 4 pound hammer.

Best regards

Frank N.
Old 13th Mar 2006, 12:31 am   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC-156
I would suspect it is strong enough, but perhaps it will flex too much if twisted?
That is a possibility. Maybe the G style will be more rigid?

http://img-europe.electrocomponents....L176630-01.gif

(Image linked from the RS website)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Mar 2006, 1:29 pm   #15
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, try the Metals Supermarkets, they have a wide range of extrusions in various materials available. You will usually find a good range of the smaller sections in model and hobby shops.
B&Q also have a range of sections but a bit expensive.

HTH Ed
Old 13th Mar 2006, 7:04 pm   #16
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
That is a possibility. Maybe the G style will be more rigid?
Yes indeed, the "G" rail is very rigid indeed. I have used it to support transformers weighing in excess of 30kg and not had a problem with it.

Regards,
Old 20th Mar 2006, 12:39 am   #17
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Great idea!

You could also do something similar with odd bits of handy angle or dexion angle, especially the smaller 1" stuff. In this case it would probably be better to build 4 sided frames. A possible benefit is that there would already be holes in all conceivable positions.
Yes like the Dexion idea, I have a long length hanging around the workshop, wondered what to do with it. Now I know!. Looks like a job for this coming week.
Paul
Old 20th Mar 2006, 1:39 pm   #18
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

These are some I made this morning. Used some old punched angle metal that came from a dismantled metal shelving unit. At least some of the holes should be in the right position and I will probably also use some small clamps for attaching the chassis as well. Was going to use Dexion but thought it a shame to saw a whole length just to make some stands out of. Don't look to closely at the construction details. It is a long time since I did metal work at School!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Stands (1) (20.03.2006).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	3105  
Closed Thread