UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2006, 3:47 pm   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default A source for wrinkle paint

I've just read an entry elsewhere on this forum, contributed by Mike Phelan. He suggests a site where chassis paint might be found. I took a look and found they also stock wrinkle finish paint. As this was the subject of previous enquiries when the only source seemed to be Antique Electronics Supply in the USA, I thought those interested might find this worth bookmarking:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8219

The paint is aerosol and is available in black, red and grey and should prove ideal for the restoration of items such as comms receivers, valve tester panels as well as other gear such as movie projectors.
-Tony
Old 17th Jan 2006, 4:45 pm   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: A source for wrinkle paint

Hi Tony when we looked into this before it was thought to have too big a "wrinkle" as it is made for car dashboards. The good old fashioned way of obtaining a wrinkle finish is to spray a cellulose top coat over an oil based undercoat but I must admit I've not personally tried it for about 35 years

Mike
Old 17th Jan 2006, 5:01 pm   #3
RobinBirch
Hexode

Hi,
I have tried the car aerosols and have found that they don't work particuarly well. I have not tried the cellulose over oil method but must give it a go.

What I would like to try is to use proper stove enamel wrinkle paint. Although I have had this done for me by professional paiters I failed to track down a suppleir of the paint so I can buy from them and have a play.

Does anyone know a supplier?

Robin
Old 17th Jan 2006, 5:12 pm   #4
g1wosjohn
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.Now I've heard/read somewhere that this type of paint as suggested (car dash' etc) can work better if the "?" it's used on is heated first ??,ie in the Oven (Don't let the Wife/Partner hear about it) !!.I've NEVER tryed this out but assume the paint hittting the warm/hot surface shrinks ? thus narrowing the crackle effect.Imagine a LOT of experimenting would be needed first !!.John G1WOS.
Old 17th Jan 2006, 8:19 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
Hi Tony when we looked into this before it was thought to have too big a "wrinkle" as it is made for car dashboards.
Hmm. When I used an aerosol obtained expensively from the USA, the effect was highly temperature dependent. The density of the sprayed coating - heavy or light - makes a big difference to the strength of the wrinkle pattern. Warming the object to be sprayed varied the effect, also it is possible to use a hair dryer to speed the process and this too has an effect on the size of the wrinkle. With practice you can vary the wrinkle size at will.
I thought the cellulose over oil was a crackle effect, not a wrinkle, but I'm probably wrong there. If you want a good crackle, use emulsion paint as a ground coat, or water-based paint
-Tony
p.s. Perhaps this topic should have been entered under a new forum listing called 'Radio Wrinkles'
-Sorry
Old 20th Jan 2006, 7:16 pm   #6
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

Hello .
I've tryed a spraybox of wrinckle paint....results were not really good.
I think you need to have experience first ,before you try it on
you loved item.
My advice:If you know a experienced painter with this wrinkle-paint,go there
innstead of try it yourselve.
Succes!!
B.R Ben
Old 21st Jan 2006, 1:32 pm   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Hi,

What is the difference between crackle and wrinkle? I've always referred it the finish as crackle, probably in error.

Regards

John
Old 21st Jan 2006, 6:32 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaines
Hi,

What is the difference between crackle and wrinkle? I've always referred it the finish as crackle, probably in error.

Regards

John
Hi John
That does seem to be a common misnomer. Wrinkle is paint that has increased its surface area as it dries - so it is, er, wrinkly. Like an AR88 case or some car dashboards like MGBs or my DS.

Crackle is paint that has shrunk as it dries, so you get a myriad of sunken lines on the paint - a bit like very fine crazy paving!

Both difficult to describe! Have a look at Frost's catalogue.
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 10:02 am   #9
John M0GLN
Octode

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info', it looks like I have been wrong for the past 40 odd years.

Regards

John
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 11:50 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaines
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info', it looks like I have been wrong for the past 40 odd years.

Regards

John
You are welcome, John - I think it is almost one of those sort of 'urban myth misnomers'.