UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2019, 3:20 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Simpson 260 Series 6 Multi-meter

Bought this analogue meter at a car boot. Made by the Simpson Electrical Company of Chicago, Illinois, USA.

It works as far as I've tested so far. I've no information on it apart from what is on the meter. It had a 1.5 Volt and quite corroded 9 Volt battery inside it and was rather dirty on the outside. It has cleaned up nicely and on easier inspection now, I'm rather impressed with its ranges. I wonder how it compares with AVO's of similar functionality?

One thing that puzzles me though is that for a 10A range there is a -10 A socket and a +10 A socket. Are these the sockets to be used for the 10 A range, as distinct from the common -ve and +ve sockets which are used for most of the other ranges?
Old 7th May 2019, 4:17 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Simpson 260 Series 6 Multi-meter

You can find all you need, including a schematic, at this site. http://www.simpson260.com/

Al
Old 7th May 2019, 4:20 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

If you google "Simpson 260", the first hit is the user manual. I wasn't sure if I could post a link here.

Alan
Old 7th May 2019, 10:34 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

The Simpson 260 is to the US what the Avo 8 is in the UK, the go to analogue meter similar to use as an Avo but with more sensitive protection as long as the batteries are good.
They are easy to repair and probably easier to calibrate as they have more settings to adjust rather than relying on the integrity of the movement.
There is plenty of info on the net including repair info. .
Good luck you have a good meter.
Chris
Old 7th May 2019, 11:24 pm   #5
stuarth
Heptode

The Simpson overload cutout does indeed give much better protection than the AVO cutout, but it’s only fitted to models with a -P suffix, eg a 260-6P, and only works if a good 9V battery is fitted. Otherwise you rely on the fuses.

The 6P is the best 260 to go for, 260-7 onwards replaced the 4mm sockets with recessed 4mm plugs (called “reversed banana jacks” in the USA) and are difficult to get test leads for over here.

They are nicely made, but the 10/50/250V range sequence is less good than the AVO 10/25/100/250V sequence.

Stuart
Old 7th May 2019, 11:25 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Also no weird 15v battery in the Simpson!
Old 8th May 2019, 12:09 am   #7
stuarth
Heptode

No, but as a result, the mid-scale reading on the highest resistance range is only 120k ohm vs 200k for the AVO. This affects its ability to measure high value resistors.

The highest resistance you can differentiate from an open circuit (but not really measure with any resolution) is about 100x the mid scale value, so 20M ohm for the AVO. This corresponds to a very slight movement of the needle from zero, so the Simpson with its frictionless taut-band movement should manage this despite its lower mid scale value.

Stuart
Old 8th May 2019, 11:11 am   #8
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks Gents for the info, I've downloaded the instruction manual for the Series 6 model - and Yes, I'm rather pleased with it...
Old 8th May 2019, 5:20 pm   #9
ex seismic
Heptode

Any idea what mine was used for bearing in mind the extra labels on the front, CPV? It is a 260-7P and as you see was made over here. The TTR label implies to me that is was used as a test meter for some specific bit of equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060861.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	182712   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060862.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	182713   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060863.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	182714  
Old 8th May 2019, 6:45 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Collector peak voltage I think. A probe used for the maintenance of Thorn colour TVs.
Old 9th May 2019, 7:23 am   #11
stuarth
Heptode

I have a small AVO 73 labelled TTR. Someone suggested it stood for Thorn Television Rentals.

My AVO is modified to have a deeper back and extra flashover protection, so TTR obviously had the buying power to get special versions of testmeters made for them.

Your -7P has the distinguishing reset button for the cut-out next to the “Simpson” logo just below the movement, and I see you have two of the reverse banana to 4mm adaptors.

Stuart
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 3:35 am   #12
joendoodle
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post

One thing that puzzles me though is that for a 10A range there is a -10 A socket and a +10 A socket. Are these the sockets to be used for the 10 A range, as distinct from the common -ve and +ve sockets which are used for most of the other ranges?

You have it EXACTLY right, when measuring on the 10 amp scale, you use these jacks (sockets). This shunts the majority of the amps thru a very low resistance and a parallel path to drive the meter. NOTE: 10 amps is plenty so make sure your leads can handle it.. {that SIMPSON260.com site someone else quoted is an excellent resource}

As Simpson 260's go, I spent my US Navy career (aka youth) using these.. they are very reliable and rugged...

Recently I developed a "hobby" of finding old worn Simpsons and Triplett's, troubleshooting and refurbing them back into good working condition..
Do I sell 'em? NOPE just adding to the collection....

I recently acquired an AVOmeter model 8 mark 2... (thus I stumbled on this forum) I really like how well built and robust it is.. The AVOmeter is 60 years old and I have it working like a champ!!
Old 27th Jul 2019, 12:02 pm   #13
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you joendoodle for the information on the -10, +10 Amp range. The Simpson is now my 'go to' analogue meter for things my small Avo can't do well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum !
Old 27th Jul 2019, 2:56 pm   #14
The Philpott
Dekatron

joendoodle, welcome, if your Avo Model 8 ever malfunctions again, much of the information to fix the usual problems is either within these walls, or accessible from within these walls.

I have a 9-0-9 vehicle Ammeter made in NY that is also very far from home and of obscure origin. It's calibrated to read in a horizontal position so we think it's from a motorcycle or tractor, and looks pre-war. (Needless to say it's works and it's accurate!)

Dave
Closed Thread