UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:44 am   #1
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Started Bush SAC21 & HMV468

I have finally started to refurbish my Bush SAC21 and HMV468. Hints or advice are welcome. I am an experienced (since 2008) radio hobbyist. I have two hefty 120 to 240VAC transformers.

Today, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the SAC21 cabinet finish was nice enough to save with an application of Liberon ring remover and some oil-based stain.

The SAC21 has an MU14 in the rectifier socket, not the correct IW3. It has loose glass pieces inside, broken from where each plate wire enters the bottom glass assembly. My ohm meter seems to indicate that the power transformer is good. Any ideas regarding where to find an IW3 (I am in southern California, we visit Europe twice a year, and have a second home in Lithuania)?
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:25 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Started Bush SAC21 & HMV468

MU14 is a substitute for the 1W3 so if it works OK no need to worry unduly.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:25 pm   #3
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Re: Started Bush SAC21 & HMV468

The broken glass may indicate that the rectifier overheated. One of the old cardboard box elecyrolyticcapacitors had gotten hot enough that wax ran out onto the chassis.
Closed Thread