UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2018, 4:46 pm   #1
JanWra1
Tetrode

Default AR88 - listening to SSB

Hi guys

When listening to SSB signals own my AR88D I have noted that the position of the BFO knob is in more or less the same position regardless of whether I listen to LSB or USB. Is this normal for these radios?
Comments pls.

Jan
Old 21st Nov 2018, 5:01 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: AR88 - listening to SSB

What position have you got the 'Selectivity' switch in?

The first 2 positions are really wide (really intended for listening to AM broadcasts in good/reasonable quality) - so a SSB signal can be tuned-in 'somewhere' within the passband and the BFO set either side to match.

On mine, I generally found position 3 to be best for SSB - it's a lot narrower because the crystal-filter's in circuit - and then it _does_ matter which side you set the BFO.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 5:56 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

On my AR88, the BFO injection is pretty weak, so I find that I need to back off the manual RF gain control so that the signal level of the received station is similar to that of the BFO. Gain make-up is then achieved by increasing AF gain.

Martin
Old 21st Nov 2018, 6:00 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Definitely.

AGC set to Off. AF gain turned fully-up, control the signal levels using RF Gain.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 6:40 pm   #5
JanWra1
Tetrode

Thanks your inputs,
I use the RF and AF gains as you advise and Selectivity is usually on 3 however I have also got usable SSb in positions 4 and 5 the later for S9+++ signals.

Jan
Closed Thread