UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2018, 3:47 pm   #1
IceCoolG
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Marconiphone R70 Record Player Repair Help

Hi everyone,

I've recently obtained an old Marconiphone R70 record player, and I need some help to get it working again. I need to fit a new plug as the player didn't come with one (I also plan of replacing the old cable entirely with something more modern), but I can't see a way of telling which cable is live and which is neutral? Both wires look exactly the same, and I can't see any useful markings anywhere.

I've attached pictures showing the ends of the wire as well as the volume knob/switch that the cable runs to.

Looking around the player I've also noticed that one of the capacitors has come away from it's solder joint. Is it worth re-soldering it back on, or as these are the old wax capacitors, should I replace them all with modern capacitors?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	162616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	162617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	162618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180511_154445.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	162619  
Old 11th May 2018, 7:20 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage Marconiphone R70 Record Player Repair Help

I don't like to be discouraging to a new poster but there are safety implications here.

Your record player is a "live chassis" model built when safety requirements were less strict.

That capacitor is connected between the live chassis and the record deck plate. If the capacitor is faulty (and it almost certainly will be) the whole record deck can become live at mains potential. A modern class Y capacitor must be used in this position.

But here is the discouraging bit. If you don't have the basic electronic skills to identify the neutral conductor in the mains cable you perhaps shouldn't be working on this machine at all.

I could give you guidance on how to do this but I think it would be irresponsible of me to do so in view of those safety concerns, sorry.
Closed Thread