UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2020, 4:40 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default BSR X5M cartridge problems

My included photo shows some X5M and X5H cartridges. The right 3 are the Ms, and the red rubber armature, is that the right word, that my knife blade is pointing at is distorted out of shape. These are all new just out of their boxes where they've been in my stock for many years. They've all had the plastic cover in place and as far as I can seen there has been nothing pressing on them.

Any ideas what will have caused this damage and is there anything that I can do about it. They sound awful when in play.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bsr1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	197480  
Old 20th Jan 2020, 4:42 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR X5M cartridge problems

Presume it’s just the material degrading with age or storage conditions.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 6:07 pm   #3
astro63
Pentode

Are the right 3 with red rubber bit genuine BSR ? and not a copy, the middle one the crystal looks almost silver unlike the left 2. which makes me wonder if they arnt a genuine british BSR. but possibly a U.S copy
Old 20th Jan 2020, 7:53 pm   #4
G4XWDJim
Octode

I bought them probably 25 years ago together with lots of other cartridges and styli from someone at a radio rally who was closing a shop down.

Does anyone have any ideas about determining authenticity or who can show a definitely real example.

Jim
Old 20th Jan 2020, 11:41 pm   #5
astro63
Pentode

normaly BSR will have it stamped on the top part of the plastic casing and the red rubbery part where the stylus tip is normally very soft. like previous person said it could be down to degrading with age.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 11:54 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

If they are crystal rather than ceramic types, it's doubtful the crystal element will be any good after all those years in storage. They absorb moisture from the atmosphere and degrade even when not being used. Chances are the rubber has gone the same way.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 10:50 am   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

I think I’ll try stripping one down to see if there’s anything I can do. Nothing ventured!

Jim
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:12 am   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

I had a few problems with ones that I bought NOS. Intermittent output, sharp pops and cracking noises and the rubber armature rubbing on the body.
The armature can be carefully repositioned, it can be slid along the crystal. In fact I did wonder if the position of the armature decided the output as some medium output cartridges seemed to have as much output as some high. I certainly found a difference in output from cartridges that were supposed to be the same.
The flat silver "wires" that connect the crystal to the output pins tend to tarnish. This is what caused the intermittent output and noises on mine. With care the cartridge can be opened and the connections cleaned.
If you do decide that any are beyond repair because of the armature I would suggest keeping the crystal as they can be used to repair the older TC turnover cartridges.
Rich.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:36 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These are all crystal cartridges. Some of those in the photo seem to have been fitted with the ST8 stylus which has an all-plastic shank. These might be the BSR X5H type and very rare they are now. On these, and the others, do try using the higher-compliance BSR ST12 stylus which uses a plastic and metal combination shank. These were normally fitted to the BSR X5M. it's just possible that some may now play better.
I would be surprised if all of these have truly failed. Even so, this just goes to show the unpredictabilty of using these NOS, half a century old, cartridges.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 6:09 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

I’ve dismantled an M to find that one of the silver wires is detached from the crystal. It looks like there’s no way to re-electrically connect it back. Maybe like trying to solder tinsel wire in a headset.

I can see now it’s in bits that it’s quite easy to slide the rubber armature along the crystal. Presumably as Rich says the position determines the output level. Nearer the end would create movement along the whole of the crystal and perhaps generate a greater output.

I’ll include some close up pictures of the various parts soon.

Jim
Old 21st Jan 2020, 9:02 pm   #11
John10b
Nonode

I have attached a picture of a BSR ful-fi Cartridge I took apart some time ago which I thought might be of interest, the crystal has disintegrated.
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24A1DBC3-DFAC-42D8-BA32-C46B5577D304.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	197550  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 10:13 pm   #12
leslie5555
Heptode

The BSR X series cartridges rarely completely die most of the time all they need is taking apart and the contacts carefully cleaned to bring them back to life.
However great care must be taken dismantling so as not to damage the very thin foil contacts, if they become detached then it's game over.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 12:47 am   #13
Techman
Dekatron

I'm not sure whether the OP said whether these had the genuine BSR markings on the top.

Below are pictures of BSR X5M and H types, showing the differences.

There's also a SX6 stereo version shown.

A lot depends on how they've been stored.

It's very unusual for the crystal to fail on these, rather it's the connection to the output pins, as has already been said.

Certainly there's a different stylus used between the M and H type. The one with the thick plastic shank is for the H type and the thinner metal shank with the very compliant flexible rubber link at its foot is for the M type. The M type is not a lot lower in output than the H type.

After the photos were taken, I plugged the one in the head shell into a Garrard RC80 and played a 78 (Jerry Lee Lewis - Great balls of fire). I then plugged another head shell fitted with a Garrard GC-8 into the deck and played the same record and this showed just how much better the GC-8 is compared to the BSR X5M. We all know that the GC-8 is an ancient mono crystal cartridge with no vertical compliance, whereas the X5M is also a mono crystal cartridge, but with good vertical compliance for playing later stereo vinyl records. So it's "horses for courses" and knowing what can be used for what - a bit like knowing when to, and when not to use WD40, just as a comparison. So for old records, the Garrard GC-8 is the better cartridge - if you can still find a working one, that is, but NOT for later records.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130494.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	197563   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130495.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	197564   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130490.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	197565   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130493.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	197566  
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:12 am   #14
G4XWDJim
Octode

The first two pics show close ups of the armature. One side is stepped the other plain presumably to gain the compliance level required.
The Ms have soft red rubber, The Hs have a much harder black rubber again presumably to twist the crystal more but surely would be less compliant on the record grooves. I wonder how much difference it might make by reversing the armature on the crystal. Must try it.

The third pic shows the print on the cartridges, silver for the H and gold for the M.

The fourth and fifth pics show the boxes they came in and the spec. details for the H.

I'm yet to open one of the cartridges in the red bubble packet but they look the same. I'm reluctant to open them as one day I hope I might sell them - untouched.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	x51.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	197567   Click image for larger version

Name:	x52.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	197568   Click image for larger version

Name:	x53.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	197569   Click image for larger version

Name:	x54.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	197570   Click image for larger version

Name:	x55.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	197571  

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 3:18 pm   #15
John10b
Nonode

I wonder why some crystals seem to fail and not others, are some coated with a material to stop them absorbing moisture, or is the Cartridge housing sealed better?
John
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 6:25 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Collaro "Studio" series of mono cartridges from 1954 to 1959 are very reliable. All my many mid-1950s players that I had had and then sold on, and those that I've kept, all worked and still work 100%.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 7:44 pm   #17
tracypaper
Octode

The crystals in the X5Ms and Hs indeed appear to be covered in a protective wax or a silver foil to keep out moisture, which is why they seem to stand the test of time, unless extreme moisture has been present. Most problems that occur with these carts are either tarnished contacts or the wrong stylus fitted.
Gaz.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:12 pm   #18
ben
Dekatron

One thing to bear in mind is that if you put the more rigid plastic ST8/ 9/ 10 stylus (for the H series carts) into the M carts, it will deform the rubber ears if left there. I have seen this and perhaps the only thing you can then do is to open the cart and try to move the rubber ears a bit. Or just keep using the low compliance plastic stylus.

What tends to happen if the rubber ears are deformed is that when the correct ST12/ 14/ 15 is fitted, the cart body drags on the disc.

As has been said, I have found the crystals very reliable in the x5 and x6 carts. Tarnished contacts are usually responsible for poor or no output, as with the Sonotone 25xx and 35xx carts. And both can be repaired with a little patience and aptitude for delicate work.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:23 pm   #19
astro63
Pentode

im pretty sure original BSR have "made in england" at the front on top i cant read whats on yours, but never come across a Genuine BSR with the silver coating on the crystal
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 1:43 pm   #20
G4XWDJim
Octode

I replaced the good looking armature from the duff cartridge into a good cartridge and having cleaned the contacts it works very well. Ideally it needs a 10 BA screw fitting to hold it securely together but my 10 BA screws are not long enough. I drilled the hole out to 8 BA and it clamped together nicely.

Ben, all of my cartridges H and Ms have the plastic ST 10 stylus with the double diameter shank, the intention being I would think is that the small diameter fits in the ears of the armature. They seem to work ok like that.

I can’t say I like the angle of the stylus tip into the record groove but it sounds fine. I haven’t yet checked the angle with 8 records in play.

They all have made in England in relief on them.

Jim

Last edited by G4XWDJim; 23rd Jan 2020 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Additions
Closed Thread