UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2019, 8:38 pm   #1
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Yahoo Groups "Closing" later this year

Hi all,

A bit of an off-topic post, but I thought it might be a good idea to draw attention to the news that Yahoo is shutting down much of the functionality of Yahoo Groups on December 14th 2019. I've put quotes around "closing" in the title because while groups will still exist as a mailing list, all of the message history, files, photos, polls, calendars, attachments, databases and links will be deleted, leaving an invite-only mailing list with no history.

I've been helping coordinate efforts of ArchiveTeam, a self-described loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage to try and save as many groups as possible before the deletion. While many groups are transitioning away to other services, many groups are abandoned and therefore will be lost.

I suspect that there will be quite a few vintage radio-themed groups that members may either be members of or just know of. (For example, the NASCOM group mentioned in this thread last week). I also suspect that, much like this forum, such groups will be filled with useful information, servicing tips, and just general history that probably shouldn't just be deleted because some multinational corporation tried to round some numbers on a balance sheet.

So I'm putting the call out: if you know of a group (doesn't have to be vintage radio-themed) that you want saved (regardless of whether you're a member or not), let me know and I'll do my best to see that it gets saved. The group I'm helping coordinate is also working on tools to allow members / moderators of groups to make their own archives, if that was preferable to being part of a public archive.

Kind regards,
Andrew
Old 27th Oct 2019, 5:01 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Yahoo Groups "Closing" later this year

This has been discussed in a recent thread here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160594
Old 27th Oct 2019, 8:13 pm   #3
andrewferguson
Hexode

Well, whoops. That's a mistake on my part. Should've checked in the "Modern Technology" section as well as the websites one.

My offer still stands. I've been helping develop / test tools that extract "basically everything" from a Yahoo Group and while they still have issues on some groups they're getting better by the day.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 4:00 pm   #4
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Andrew

I'd be most grateful if you could attack shipmate@yahoo..
I'd like to preserve the message history, members and files/photos if possible.

regards
John Button
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:59 pm   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

We need to preserve the following at least, as there are valuable files, modification details, manuals, eprom and eeprom dumps, a great many of which would risk being totally lost after December 19th!

1) The Tek Scopes Group;

2) The HP/Agilent Group;

3) Anything for Marconi/Pye;

4) The Hacker Radio and Audio Group!

Chris Williams
Old 29th Oct 2019, 8:18 pm   #6
andrewferguson
Hexode

John - I've sent you a PM.

Chris - Most of the groups you listed require all new membership requests to be approved by the group moderator. And the only way I can get access to the group content to archive it is by being a member. So I'll fire off some membership requests to those groups, and see what happens. The alternative (if you're a member of those groups) which is a bit more involved on your part, would be for me to show you how to install and run the archiving tools so you could make an archive of the groups using your own membership.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 10:15 pm   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

This evening I was able to successfully log in to my old Yahoo group Panaport, which contains useful info, service manuals etc. for Panasonic portable radios. I am trying to download what I can, so if anyone needs any Panasonic- related information, drop me a line and I will attempt a search for you.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 10:26 pm   #8
andrewferguson
Hexode

Funnily enough, that group [Panaport] has already been pointed out to me by someone else. (We have a nominations form where anyone can nominate a group they'd like to see saved, and that group was nominated). So I'm actually already a member of that group, and that should mean out automated system will archive it in due course.

Many thanks for pointing that group out, though - I'll make a note and make sure it gets saved.

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited by andrewferguson; 31st Oct 2019 at 10:27 pm. Reason: Added group name
Old 31st Oct 2019, 10:33 pm   #9
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks Andrew ☺
Closed Thread