UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2011, 4:22 pm   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default BVWS Wootton Bassett - 3rd July 2011

Hello All,

Today I have sent out all the tickets for stall holders and visitors that have pre-booked for this event. You should receive them very soon.

We now have only 4 tables left and then the hall will be full, so if you are thinking of booking a table, please do so very soon as it looks like another bumper event.

I am in the process of lotting up and photographing stuff for the Auction catalogue.
The photo's and a downloadable list will be put up on the BVWS website probably next Monday (depends on Paul's time).

All the usual attractions as well as the Bring & Buy stall.

Hot and cold food and drink will be available throughout the day.

Stall holders entry to set-up 10:00am

General opening time for everyone 10:30am

Auction start about 1pm.

Sat Nav - SN4 8AA is the closest location to the hall, and you will be able to see it from there...

Non BVWS members may like to come along and then perhaps join on the day.
It is always a great day with lots of interesting bargains to pick up on the stalls.

I look forward to seeing you all there,

Mike...
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 11:02 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Wootton Bassett - 3rd July 2011

If anyone car-less or whatever and wants to go who'd like a lift please PM me. I'll be travelling from mid-Cambs, passing St.Neots, Milton Keynes, Buckingham, Bicester (A421) and then A34, A420 etc.

I don't mind deviating a little off the route but not too far.

Andrew
Old 27th Jun 2011, 12:40 pm   #3
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

I will be a newbie to Wootton Bassett this weekend. I see the auction starts at about 1pm. What time would you expect the auction to finish by?

Thanks

Chris G0EYO
Old 27th Jun 2011, 2:11 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Usually around 3:30pm though it depends on the number of lots and how quickly we get through them.

Winning bidders cannot pay for and collect their items until after the end of the auction (except by special prior arrangement with Mike, which is normally only granted to those travelling out of the UK that evening).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Jun 2011, 1:36 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Photos of most of the auction lots are now on the BVWS website here http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/phot...2011/index.htm

The catalogue should be added in the next day or two (once Mike has confirmed a few lot details).

Paul Stenning
Old 28th Jun 2011, 11:20 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The auction catalogue (as of today) is now on the website and also attached here.

There are a few items labelled TBA because Mike does not yet have the details of what the sellers are bringing, but we wanted to get the rest of the catalogue available now.

There is clearly quite a bit of interest in some lots from the number of phone calls Mike has had. Please try to limit your calls to reasonable daytime hours though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WB_July_2011_Auction.pdf (16.6 KB, 788 views)

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 8:38 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

I'm just thinking - this could be the last BVWS auction to be held at Wootton Bassett.

By next year (perhaps by December) the name change will have been enacted, and we will be meeting in Royal Wootton Bassett.
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 8:51 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have just got back home after an excellent day. Exhausted though because I was at the hall from 6:30am to help with setting up the auction and was also portering during the auction.

Prices were disappointingly low in the auction generally, maybe because a lot of the lots, while tidy and far from junk, were run of the mill sets.

I bought a Bush TR82/97 in the auction because it was in excellent condition, nobody else wanted it even for a fiver, and it will go nicely in my kitchen without me being bothered about possible mishaps. I also bought a Weller soldering iron for £7.50 for the parts to repair mine, and a two video set about Bletchley Park entitled Station X for £2.

kalee20, you are forgetting the special auction only event (with probably over 400 lots) at WB on 14th August.

Paul Stenning
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 9:45 pm   #9
audiomagpie
Heptode

Had an excellent day. Was determined not to by any more sets as I've now got 3 'round tuit' piles. My intentions went straight out the window- came back with two TV's (Bush TV63 and a little GEC BT5147) and a Murphy A72 radio (the one that looks like a washing machine) plus a tray of TV valves, large box of NOS droppers and a few other bits and pieces.

Agree with Paul that some reasonable quality stock was going for next to nothing. Some sets were just unwanted. How times have changed in recent years.

A big thanks to the team for what must have been a very long day and also to the catering team, excellent as usual, worth the trip just for the cakes!!

Greg & son Alex

BVWS committee chairman
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 10:18 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

An excellant day and a big thankyou to all those that made it possible. Your efforts are much appreciated. I have just finished finding places for the three items that I have bought in my small workshop and somehow have found some more room from somewhere.
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 10:22 pm   #11
Andrewausfa
Octode

A nice day out, thanks to all who organise and help out. I came away with a GEC and three Murphy baffle sets all of which I'd had on my 'wanted' list for not very much money at all. Three sets are still in the car boot waiting for the 'all clear'
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 10:36 pm   #12
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I always enjoy the WB meets and met up with some friends and some new friends too.

From the previous comments I'm so glad I left before the auction - several things I would have _really_ liked, but as I had to dispose of some stuff at the B&B in order to justify the super Vidor telly that made its way there via the FCS (thanks to those involved!) I couldn't justify buying more stuff (even the tempting motor-tuned Ekco console radio on one of the stalls - oh for a bigger house).

TTFN,
Jon
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 11:08 pm   #13
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Super but tiring day. How I wish I had the room for some of those bargains today. A hearty thank you to all those who made the day memorable and hope to be back in August.

Ian
Old 4th Jul 2011, 8:37 am   #14
Panrock
Nonode

A big thank you to all who organised this. I noticed Paul Stenning up there on the stand, tirelessly portering. Mike Barker, amongst all his other duties, still found time to give me the excellent HMV 907 mains EHT transformer he has rewound plus an informative chat! By chance I met for the first time one of the BHTG test viewers who had contributed photos and an off-screen video.

Though not intending to buy, we still came away with two continental portables and a pre-war Marconi. A fun day - nice sandwiches too.

Steve
Old 4th Jul 2011, 9:31 am   #15
ajs37
Heptode

Thanks to all from me - very much appreciated - it's a long day for you - I know I was tired last night - and I didn't get there until 10.30!
Bought too much in the auction - please ban me from this! - Prices were very low though - I felt obliged to bid sometimes! Never mind - got it in past the garage past SWMBO
See you in Auguast
Cheers
Andy
Old 4th Jul 2011, 10:32 am   #16
Tazman1966
Nonode

And a big thank you from me too. It was a great event and although not my nearest location (Harpenden's only about 5 or 6 miles from me) it's my favourite.

I went there not knowing what I was going to buy (if anything) and came away with a nice 1962 (I think) Sobell tv, and a few other bits and pieces although I mucked up with my capacitor purchase and got 50 x 0.1uF instead of 0.01uF! Damn my memory!

I agree that the prices in the auction were very low indeed - even the tellies were cheap especially the Pam. If only I had the space. I think we need to attract some newbies into this hobby to get things moving again though how to do that is anyone's guess.

Thanks once again for a great event.
Old 7th Jul 2011, 12:04 pm   #17
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Good point Taz, preferably newbies who are single live in mansions with lots of good condition outhouses on their estate. Perhaps we should be looking at our audiophile friends I am sure some of the audio equipment that go through the auction would be of considerable interest to them and so would fetch higher prices.
Closed Thread