UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2013, 5:24 pm   #1
colly0410
Pentode

Default Bush VTR178 another gift from Mum-in-law.

MIL asked if I wanted the above? (a mains/battery transistor radio) of course I did. It hadn't been used for many years so thought I'd better not plug it straight in the mains or it could go bang. I charged up some old ni-cads & left them standing for a few hours for the voltage to drop. When they'd dropped to about 4.6 volts I put them in & switched on, & bingo it worked. The band-change buttons & sliders were a bit crackly but after a bit of use are a bit quieter. I then felt brave & plugged it into the mains & it works even better. I'm not sure how old it is but Radio 1 is flagged as 247 mtrs so it's it's at least 35 years old. It sounds very good on FM & medium wave, (to my surprise it doesn't have long wave) & picks up loads of stations on short wave. The case is a bit of a mess so I'll have to have a go at cleaning it up. I'm feeling a bit smug.
Old 20th Apr 2013, 6:58 pm   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Bush VTR178 another gift from Mum-in-law.

Maybe the lack of Long Wave is something to do with it being an earlyish Japanese model maybe. Certainly a great looking set from 1973!
Old 11th May 2013, 5:43 pm   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Bush VTR178 another gift from Mum-in-law.

These were very good sets noted for their good performance and their robust build quality. Indeed Rank advertised that this was used on one of the Everest expeditions to receive weather information etc. A great set as long as you don't need Long wave.
Closed Thread