UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2011, 1:30 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1964 Roberts R300 6 transistor MW/LW portable built from scrap

Hello again,

As if I haven't got enough of these but I went and bought a tray of four scrap R200/R300 scrap sets at the last Harpenden auction and I've got a few more scrap Roberts sets in the loft, all for spares. Two in the box, a red R200 and a tan R300, were in quite good cosmetic condition but none of them worked. However, whacking one of the AF117 transistors in the R300 brought it back to life and it then briefly worked quite well. Its cabinet wasn't bad either but I had another in a virtually unmarked case in the loft acquired with a butchered IFT so I have built a nice one from the two using the case and chassis from one and the PCB from the other.

Both were completely dismantled and as the working one had some battery damage, the PCB, tuning capacitor and switches were removed from their chassis and the working PCB was fitted to the unmarked chassis. The better case and handle were lightly cleaned with upholstery cleaner and polished with light tan shoe polish. The perspex dial cover and knob brights were polished with Brasso and the latter then cleaned and the brights varnished with Rustins lacquer. The better loudspeaker grille which was a bit scratched was fitted back to front after a couple of extra holes were drilled in it to fit over the locating screws. The set was reassembled and a new Roberts gold badge fitted.

I took the set over to Ron Bryan to overhaul the PCB. The duff AF117 was replaced with an AF126 and away it went, the other two AF117s were still fine. RF alignment was then performed and the quiescent current correctly set.

So one more R300 is back in circulation (it will be sold), it's in nice condition and works very well indeed, so much better than languishing in a box in the loft. Now to find a handle for the red R200 .....

My thanks to Ron for his help.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan_top 001.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	48207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan_ front 001.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	48211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan_inside 001.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	48212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan_before 001.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	48213  

Last edited by howard; 15th Mar 2011 at 1:37 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 1:51 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: 1964 Roberts R300 6 transistor MW/LW portable built from scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
. Now to find a handle for the red R200 .....
Howard
Handles and badges don't fare very well or Roberts radios with the passage of time, and knob brights have a propensity to come adrift. I'm surprised that the streets aren't littered with them, like postmen's eleastic bands!

Handles for Roberts radios are available in tan, green, red, dark blue and black, with ivory beading. All colours are matched to the original shades used. They’re suitable for Roberts RT1, R200, R300, R500, R303, RIC1, R404 etc. Also available now are replacements for the Roberts R707. All straps are supplied in one length - all you need to do is to cut it to the required size, and then swap the brass work over from your set.

I found out about them on Richard Booth’s site. See his comments about ‘special offer’ when ordering the handles. Go to: http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/spares/spares.html

You can order the handles from Graham at East Coast Wireless, either by email to coastwire@aol.com , by telephone on (01945) 780808. (omit the 0 if outside the UK), or by post to:-

East Coast Wireless, 2 Holt Court, Walpole St Peter, Wisbech, PE14 7NY, UK.

I haven't yet ordered any myself, so simply provide the info in good faith.

Hope it's of help.

David.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 2:43 pm   #3
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

I've had a couple of handles from Graham and am more than happy to recommend his products. Excellent reproductions.

--
Ian
Old 15th Mar 2011, 5:31 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I bought a handle for a tan R200 from East Coast Wireless back in 2005 which is a good reproduction. I've got tons of Roberts spares here, and I've found a red handle from an R500 which just needs trimming to fit the R200. The only thing I've run out of is new Roberts scroll badges, hopefully Roberts still keep them in stock.

Howard
Old 16th Mar 2011, 11:28 am   #5
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

I bought a few replacement Roberts logo badges some years ago. Although the two mounting pins have identical spacing, they're attached in slightly different positions to the originals, meaning that 'Roberts' is at the wrong angle unless the hole positions are adjusted.

--
Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00045.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	48273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00044.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	48274  
Old 16th Mar 2011, 12:33 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Hello Ian,

The new badges are slightly different but they definitely look better even in gold than a broken or worn yellowing silver badge. None of my scrap sets have an intact badge so I've just ordered six new ones from Roberts, they're now £1.75 + VAT each plus £4.55 postage.

Howard
Old 16th Mar 2011, 1:01 pm   #7
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

Hi Gentlemen

Thought I would contribute as an interested party in matters relating to Roberts cosmetic spares.
Unfortunately East Coast Wireless have been "out of stock" of Roberts Repro carry straps for at least 4 or 5 months. I have lost count of the amount of times I have called Graham, to be told "ring back in a month". The last time (about a month ago - so another call due) I asked outright if there was some sort of problem...and he conceeded there is, and it may not get resolved...so fingers crossed, I have several sets awaiting handles!

Roberts script badges in very bright gold as used on the Revival are very much available from Roberts spares having been on back order before Christmas.

As for KNOB BRIGHTS ....can I modestly suggest that I AM YOUR MAN!!! I am talking here of the ubiquitous bright fitted to the knob on Roberts RT1, R200, R300, Hacker Herald RP10, Dynatron Nomad and others.

I got fed up buying scrappers simply to rob knob brights. So I got a pressing company in Birmingham to tool up and produce a ...lets just call it a "quantity" for me.

problem is as anyone in engineering knows...tooling is or can be a significant front end cost, after which each unit of production is quite cheap.....after you have ammortised the tooling cost! So I had quite a few made...to keep the unit cost down taking the tooling into account. I took a punt, rather hoping the enthusiast community mnight thank me and help me recover my "investment" by buying a few.

They are £4.50 for 3 plus £1.50 P&P (which covers as many multiples of 3 as you want within reason!
I have previously opened a thread in the parts for sale section with a photo:

Brass "brights" for roberts/hacker/dynatron knobs

Anyone who wants some just PM me. I need your orders...at current sales rates I recover my money in about 3 years! Oh well at least my radios look good.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 3:44 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've built a second R300 from scrap using the second case shown above and the chassis from another very scruffy tan R300. Ron Bryan fixed this one as well, replacing just one AF117 transistor (the same one as above) and away it went. The quiescent current at the output transistors was adjusted and RF realignment performed and the chassis was done. The case received the same treatment as the one above. Its dial was a bit faded to I pinched the one from the damaged chassis above - hint: the dials on these are well secured to the chassis by double sided sticky tape, to remove them easily squirt a little switch cleaner behind the dial. There was a touch of battery damage on the side of the battery box, the rust was removed using Rustins rust remover, then primed and then painted over with silver enamel.

It's not quite as nice as the R300 above, it has a couple of little nicks in the front, the right top corner is a bit worn and the grille which is the dented scrap one above had to be flattened so is not pristine like the one on the first R300 but the set works very well indeed.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan2_front 001.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	48398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan2_top 001.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	48399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R300_tan2_inside 001.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	48400  
Old 20th Mar 2011, 11:43 pm   #9
batterymaker1
Heptode

Gorgeous resurrections.
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 8:01 pm   #10
GJR 11L
Heptode

Gorgeous indeed! Well done Howard and had I remembered to set my alarm clock (an RCM1), I'd be the proud owner of one of those sets of yours by now.

It's great to come back to this forum after what seems like ages and find that you're still very much involved in preserving all of these wonderful pieces of historic equipment.
The tan finish is my favourite on both of the non-rectangular Roberts cabinets of the period (so R300 & R500), some day, I'll find the "awaiting restoration" R300 that I have here. Some day....
Old 10th May 2013, 11:29 am   #11
David - M0ZLI
Retired Dormant Member

Seeing what can be achieved with these lovely old radio's inspired me to buy one last week. I've obtained a Green R300 in quite reasonable condition needing a deep clean on the Rexine, a polish of the brightwork, a new strip of Rexine on the strap and battery connector. It works fine, but does have an issue tuning past 350m so maybe the plates are touching in the variable condenser and the volume pot probably needs a clean. When I get a clear desk I'll strip it down and have a quick look and clean if needed. The cost, the princely sum of £16.
Cheers - David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roberts-R300.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	79594  
Old 11th May 2013, 5:48 pm   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice job Howard. The R300 was the improved version of the R200 might get one myself. I find its amazing that you can still get some new bits from the original maker for these sets.
Closed Thread