UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2005, 11:01 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default MB60 Restoration

I noticed this radio on Ebay with less than 1 minute to go! I managed to read the description, look at the pictures and place a bid with just 6 seconds to spare. Apart from a broken handle pin it looked OK and complete. The seller responded positively to my packing requests and I was initially very excited. However the next day my excitement was dampened when the seller told me that the radio had fallen off the Post Office counter whilst he was trying to send it

It arrived with a chunk missing from the top left hand corner of the back and all the chassis mounts broken As I dismantled the radio it turned out that the tuning dial had also been bodged with glue, the rexine was very worn and faded and everything was generally filthy.

I started with the front and back panel. They where washed and polished vigorously with T Cut. I mixed some car body filler with wood stain until I got a colour which closely matched the missing corner of the back. Unfortunately all that colour matching was wasted when I discovered that the hardener was a bright red! The resulting repair is, therefore, not as invisible as I'd hoped, but it's not too bad

The rexine covered main body was really awful and it looked worse after I washed it. The only solution I could think of was to paint it. I found Voltswagen Gambia Red to be an almost perfect match for an unfaded area of the rexine (it's also a match for the tuning dial). All the broken bits of the chassis mounts were still inside so these were re-glued into position with superglue.

All the brass was removed, stripped, polished and re-lacquered.

Forum member Howard supplied me with handle pins, a tuning dial and the MW/LW buttons (as mine were cracked)

The radio came with the original plug but the mains lead had been cut off. As this is moulded I had to use a Dremmel, lots of superglue and car body filler to effect a repair.

The chassis had its capacitors replaced or reformed. Once a repair was made to the MW aerial coil and a couple of new valves it worked fine

Lastly I made a graphic of what I interpreted a B147 battery should look like. I couldn't be bothered to stuff it full of batteries but I placed a small bag of sand inside it to hopefully give the radio a bit of ballast

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2107   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2108   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2109   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2110   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2111  

Old 28th Nov 2005, 11:06 am   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: MB60 Restoration

What a turn-around, Dave. You bought a disaster of a radio but you've turned it around quite amazingly. Super restoration. Well done!
-Tony
Old 28th Nov 2005, 3:08 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Dave,

Thats brilliant ! The Bush MB60 is a very nice radio and well worth restoring.
Well done !

Howard
Old 28th Nov 2005, 4:39 pm   #4
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hello Dave that M60 looks very nice I also did an MB60 they are really worth the time and effort well done

Andy
Closed Thread