UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2005, 8:49 pm   #1
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Roberts RIC1

Hi All I have a Roberts RIC1 and have been at it all day the fault is low sound output I found some dry joints and checked the output transisters and these appear to be ok so would be grateful for any help thanks

Andy
Old 13th Nov 2005, 10:28 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Roberts RIC1

Hello Andy,

If you cant sort out the volume problem with your RIC1 cos it turns out to be a fault in the IC module, which it may well be, I know someone who has a load of scap Roberts chassis and IC modules and I should be able to get you one.

Regards......Howard
Old 13th Nov 2005, 7:48 pm   #3
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hi All I've still not managed to crack this one I have looked at the service manual and the IC voltage table does not give a voltage for pins 1/10 /12/14 just a hyhpen please can someone assist me by providing a second oppinion on this the voltages on my chip are as follows
pin1 has 1.4 volts
pin10 has 2.1 volts
pin12 has 7.4 volts
pin14 has 7.1 volts

I suspect the IC to be the cause but I would be very grateful for infomation given as this is a real stinker thanks

Andy
Old 13th Nov 2005, 11:02 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Andy

The voltages you have on pins 1, 10, 12 and 14 of the TAD100 are about right I would say.

Can you tell us any more about the fault? Do you get plenty of stations on both wavebands but just low volume? Or is the set insensitive. If there are plenty of stations that suggests the low volume is an audio fault. On the other hand if you can only receive a couple of strong local stations, then the fault is more likely to be in the RF or IF circuits.

What test equipment do you have? And have you replaced any capacitors yet?
Old 14th Nov 2005, 12:07 am   #5
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Restored Roberts RIC1

Hi All I finaly cracked it this radio was purchased from ebay for £2.60 and had low volume and was rather grubby however the low volume was cured by replacing C17 this was rated at 32 mfd the replacment was 22mfd and the radio sounds very nice the case was scrubbed and polished and the rexine was repaired this one has really turned out nice this one was a real challenge for me it took me three days to sort out

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0141.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0142.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0143.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1966  
Old 14th Nov 2005, 10:53 pm   #6
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Re: Restored Roberts RIC1

Hi Chaps I appoligize for not explaining the cure to my fault in the correct place I just diden't see the need to explain it twice.

Andy
Old 14th Nov 2005, 11:02 pm   #7
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

You only need to explain it once in the correct place

Mike
Old 15th Nov 2005, 6:03 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Hiya Andy,

Thats a brilliant RIC1 for just £2.60, mine cost a lot more than that and looks no better .....

Howard
Old 11th Dec 2005, 7:19 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

I myself have an RIC1. I have done some fault tracing and it looks like I have a faulty IC. I have got a replacement, it justs needs fitting.
Closed Thread