UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2010, 12:14 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Braun SK5

I'm posting this as a follow up of this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57036

Repairing this was not as easy as we thought it might be.

I removed the deck from the main unit which enabled me to remove the arm.

Once removed the old cartridge was taken out as well as the two metal contacts

Fortunately the arm was wired with two thin screened cables.

I was going to put new thin screened cable but found that the hole in the middle of the arm's bearing was not wide enough so the original cables were used.

A new Ronette stereo cartridge was fitted to the Braun bracket. this was not easy as part of the shank was too wide so after removing the styli, the cartridge was bit in a drill which acted as a sort of lathe and this was ground down slightly so that it fitted.

Having fitted the cartridge to the Braun bracket, I then refitted the original Braun turnover knob.

Next I bought from Maplin some pick up cartridge connectors, cut the connectors off the wires and soldered them to the existing pick up wires. the wires and cartridge were then refitted to the pick up arm.

The new Ronette is somewhat larger than the original but it just fitted and turned properly as well.

I then refitted the arm to the turntable and the turntable to the whole machine.

After warming up for a few seconds, We placed Little Richards Jenny Jenny which boomed out nice and clear.

I must say that these units look very nice and certainly different from the normal run of the mill radiograms and though i might play some records from time to time, I dont think long term its advisable to entrust it to any records of value or rarity.

I dont think the original cartridge itself was faulty but the way it connected at the back was certainly suspect.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	39067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	39068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	39069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	39070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	39071  

Old 8th Aug 2010, 7:42 am   #2
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Braun SK5

It's good that you were able to help with this. What holds the back end of the new cartridge? It looked like the contacts were somehow supporting the back of the old one?
Old 8th Aug 2010, 8:17 am   #3
Michael Maurice

The only support for the cartridge is the bracket at the front which push fits onto an internal part of the arm.

The contacts at the back were just that, ie contacts, they never did offer any support.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 9:21 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Well done Michael

Braun designed their products well in the late 1950s-1960s and that is an outstandingly nice gramophone, one really worth collecting.

I looked it up on RMOrg, this series of classic Braun gramophones were known as Schneewittchensarg, "snow white coffins"

Howard

Last edited by howard; 8th Aug 2010 at 9:32 am.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 10:16 am   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Very nice unit is that and nothing quite like it in the UK. The fitting of the new cartridge was interesting and I'm glad to hear it worked.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Aug 2010, 6:49 pm   #6
qualityten
Octode

Thanks for interesting report Michael.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 2:43 pm   #7
martybebrown
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Michael - It looks like you've done an amazing job with this. I have a similar issue in that my Braun SK 5 has real trouble playing new, louder records with its original cartridge and I was hoping to replace the cartridge - possibly using the same method you've described here. Do you think you might be able to offer some assistance?

Cheers.
Old 31st Mar 2012, 7:32 pm   #8
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Are these mono cartridges? I wouldn't chance playing a stereo pressing on one of these things. Reason why I got rid of all my mono record players from back in my younger days.
Old 31st Mar 2012, 8:55 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

The Ronette 105 is a stereo cartridge. It doesn't have much "compliance" however and is best restricted to "less valuable" records as Michael says...

The SK5 is a mono machine and would have had a mono cartridge originally that certainly would do a stereo record no good!

Robert
Old 10th Mar 2013, 3:11 pm   #10
ianwalton
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

Fascinating thread. I know I am about 3 years too late to be replying (!) but I have recently acquired a Braun Atelier 1-81 which features the same Braun PC3 SV deck with original Ronette TO284 mono cartridge.

The system is a thing of beauty as some people have said, but not easy to find resources on.

I would like to do as Michael has explained and replace the (knackered) Ronette TO284 with a new/repo cartridge which will give me better sound and hopefully not damage my records too much. I do understand that I will never get Audiophile quality from this deck but I am willing to get it working as good as possible.

I have a quick question for those involved. Am I correct in saying that you replaced the original mono TO284 with a stereo Ronette 105 cartridge? Also, would there be any other alternative cartridges which would fit or is this the only one?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Ian
Old 11th Mar 2013, 12:16 am   #11
bobbyball
Octode

I always thought the Sonotone 20-T blew the Ronette out of the water, much more "compliance" in the stylus and internals and a nicer sound. Harder to find than the Ronette or similar "modern repros"...

Robert
Old 11th Mar 2013, 12:18 pm   #12
Michael Maurice

The original Ronette 105 is not available, there is a very poor copy available, but I tried it and it looks and sounds awful

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 11th Mar 2013, 3:36 pm   #13
bobbyball
Octode

Yes I would agree that the "repro" 105's are easily as bad as the originals if not worse. Stylus far too stiff and needs about 8 grams to "make" it track!! AVOID!!!

Robert
Old 11th Mar 2013, 11:46 pm   #14
Michael Maurice

Robert did your repro's look anything like the originals? Because the new ones dont, they are a lot slimmer and horrible

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 12th Mar 2013, 12:44 am   #15
bobbyball
Octode

Hello Michael, no the repro ones I got were a pale yellowy-cream colour and seemed to be made of a slightly more "brittle" looking plastic than the others but were essentialy the same size.

I won't touch the "Ronettes" of this world now, not for anything. The Sonotone 20-T ones I have (keep finding them on eBay as well!) are so much better and despite having the same "playing weight" in the original spec this is far too heavy and they seem to be able to track really loud bassy records without jumping at 4 grams or less. Same size and connections as the Ronettes too...

Robert
Closed Thread