UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2016, 8:36 am   #1
Viewmaster
Hexode

Default After 6 months

If one hasn't posted anything in 6 months I understand that one is deleted from the forum.

Two little questions....
Is one given any warning that one is about to be given the chop?
Can one re join with same name and password or not?
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 9:01 am   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: After 6 months

Never heard of that before, Malc
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 9:38 am   #3
gezza123
Heptode

Its three months General rule No 5, all I do is just log in and and read some posts then log out I don't think that the (mods) will delete you/ but the software may check for clean up purpose.
gezza123
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 10:21 am   #4
paulsherwin

The forum rules say this may happen, but in practice it doesn't.

There is no automatic mechanism to do this. Every so often one of us (usually Paul Stenning) will remove members who haven't accessed the forum for a very long time and have never posted (there are a surprisingly large number of these). The period of inactivity will be much longer than 6 months.

Obviously people are welcome to rejoin at any time in the future.
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 10:43 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Paul is correct, there is no automatic mechanism for this, there are maintenance tools in admin for this sort of thing that need to be run manually.

When I have a periodic purge of inactive users it is those with zero post count who have not logged in for ages (normally between 1 and 2 years). Most of these are people who have not returned since the day they signed up.

In the past it was a requirement to be a member before you could view attachments, but this just resulted in loads of these inactive users who signed up to see the attachments of interest and never returned. This was changed a couple of years ago, so guests (and search engines) can see attachments, which results in a lot less of these inactive members.

Note that I never remove users who have a post count higher than zero, no matter how long ago they last posted or visited. Doing so would leave their posts orphaned (and showing as guest posts) which causes confusion with the flow of the threads etc.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 11:00 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Well, that sounds very fair to me.I agree there does seem to be one or two who join never to be heard of again.
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 11:32 am   #7
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

As someone who seldom posts, but derives very much enjoyment from browsing the forum without logging on, I am glad to have this clarified.
Les.
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 12:17 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you do log in when just browsing it will highlight the new threads and posts since your last visit, which could be useful. It also gets rid of the cookie message near the top of every page (as it knows which members have acknowledged it).

In addition, the forum section that is only visible to members with over 10 posts will become visible to you when you log in.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread