UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2013, 10:29 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Diagnosis at a distance

There are very many forum members who give us the benefit of their knowledge and experience to help others with solutions to various problems. One of the more difficult to help with is fault diagnosis.

I often enjoy trying to help people with fault diagnosis, using my past years of experience as a radio and TV service engineer and I get a real buzz if I succeed.

In another thread I notice a regular contributor, who's advice is always good and well thought through, remark that others had diagnosed the fault better than he had. I got the impression that he was almost apologising for not being "right".

Although I am sure the remark was light hearted I would like to say that nobody should feel the need to apologise in those circumstances. Diagnosis at a distance is difficult and depends upon a number of factors; the quality of the information you are working with, the range of your experience and chance. This last factor is one you cannot allow for, if you make a perfectly rational suggestion and it happens that in the particular case the cause is elsewhere it doesn't make your advice is wrong; someone else may read your post when they have the same symptom and you have the answer.

I am not supporting the school of wild guesses here of course, but those of you with good well thought through advice, KEEP IT COMING.

Colin M
Old 28th Feb 2013, 4:33 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Diagnosis at a distance

Can I also ask that the person requesting the help tries to carry out the tests and suggestions given, and indicates clearly the results etc. If for some reason you can't complete the test please say so and why. If you don't understand what is being requested please ask for clarification.

We do have a few threads where a number of suggestions are made and the thread starter then seems to ignore them. This is obviously frustrating for those who are trying to help.

I know people would like a simple definitive "change the xx valve" type response, but it often isn't that simple. Some diagnosis is often needed to narrow down the likely culprit.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2013, 5:28 pm   #3
Station X

Following on from the above, if you take measurements and post the results please quote the units used, so "25 Volts" rather than 25.

Resistance measurements can be problematic is this respect. "No reading" could indicate a short-circuit or an open-circuit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Mar 2013, 5:36 pm   #4
JoshWard
Octode

I'd just like to say thankyou to all those who offer help on here. I still don't know a lot but I wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for this forum. So many members have helped me solve problems and given me knowledge that I have been able to apply to other sets and then fix them. I have even had members come to my house and work through the fault with me!! Combined with Paul's information pages on his website and Tony Thompson's books on a good day with the wind behind me I can just about get a radio working (well, some of the time, still a long way to go!).

I must admit in the past I have ignored advice, simply because I haven't understood how to carry out the test or why the test was being done. I then discovered it was a lot better to simply ask rather than ignore, that way you learn and you may just solve the problem!!
Old 1st Mar 2013, 7:21 pm   #5

Well put Josh, there is no such thing as a stupid question, they only get daft if asked twice by the same person.

I have learned a lot from this forum and hopefully given a bit back too.

Old 7th Mar 2013, 3:37 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
When giving advice, it would be helpful to know how experienced the poster is. As a rule of thumb I tend to think the more times they have posted the more experienced they are, but that's perhaps more than a little flawed. I tend to give advice on TVs old and new and, while someone may be a dab hand with valved radios, they may understandably panic at the thought of replacing an SMD IC or partially dismantling an LCD screen.
Of course how this would be implemented is another thing!
Glyn
Old 8th Mar 2013, 7:16 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
When giving advice, it would be helpful to know how experienced the poster is. As a rule of thumb I tend to think the more times they have posted the more experienced they are, but that's perhaps more than a little flawed. Glyn
What really strikes me is that on this forum there are some people who are very experienced professional radio/electronics people who are also hobbyists. At the other end of the spectrum (standing with me) are the "hams"; often people who were interested in radio as a hobby some decades ago, and much of what we know still dates from that time...and hasn't necessarily increased much since then .
Old 8th Mar 2013, 8:00 pm   #8
Station X

Quote:
At the other end of the spectrum (standing with me) are the "hams"; often people who were interested in radio as a hobby some decades ago, and much of what we know still dates from that time...and hasn't necessarily increased
This is a vintage radio forum so such knowledge should be very useful.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 9:22 pm   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
This is a vintage radio forum so such knowledge should be very useful.
Oh yes, but the "pros" very often have that knowledge, and so much more theoretical stuff and modern technology on top of it.

It is very pleasing to get benefit of some of their inputs on issues, but it really makes me realise that having got distracted by other things for a couple of decades, I've fallen a "little bit behind" in some areas.
Closed Thread