UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2018, 5:59 am   #1
Louis-Philippe
Diode

Default Information about power output FT101E

Hello, I have a good old Yaesu ft101e and I notice
That when I tune the final amplifier, the wattmeter gives me about 150 watts on all the bands except one less for the 10 meter and 15 meter, but when I use the microphone (original Yaesu microphone) to transmit I get 100 watts on all my bands and a little less for 10 meters and 15 meters. The gain of the microphone is 3 1/2 to stay in the green zone of the ALC.
Why there is a difference in power output at the tune (10 sec Max) and the use of the microphone in normal transmission?
In general the ft101e can give a power of 130 watts Max on all bands and a little less than 10 meters.
Thanks in advance
Louis Philippe
VE2PBC
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:06 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Information about power output FT101E

I suggest you read the service manual.

I note that the ALC circuit is off during TUNE but works with the mic. Is the ALC set up correctly? There is an adjustment for it.

I presume this is driving into a 50R load.

I used to have an earlier model of FT101 and I have to say that there is a lot of scope for getting the setup slightly wrong, producing strange results.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 8:39 pm   #3
Louis-Philippe
Diode

thank you GMB for your information, I have the Yaesu service manual and I have followed the adjustments described in the Yaesu manual. ALC is well adjusted so that the meter needle stays in the green zone. I use a dummy load of 50R for my calibrations. I am trying to understand the difference in gain between the microphone and the gain at the tune position .. thank you again Louis
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:32 pm   #4
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
...I am trying to understand the difference in gain between the microphone and the gain at the tune position .. thank you again Louis
Louis Philippe

What sort of power meter are you using?

Using tune you will get a steady reading

Unless you have some sort of peak reading watt meter then the SSB reading WILL be lower as a meter cant keep up with the peaks of power when you speak

On a "normal" (average reading) power meter the Tune signal will definitely read higher. If you whistle into the mic you may then get a similar reading to tune?

73 Fred
G4BWP
Old 18th Sep 2018, 9:28 pm   #5
Louis-Philippe
Diode

Hello Fred, thank you for your answer, my power meter that I use is a (MFJ 948). I made the whistle test in the microphone I get peaks of 125 watts, so with the use of the microphone this is normal. I understand that high audio frequencies have more power output than low audio frequencies. thank you again Louis-Philippe VE2PBC
Closed Thread