UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2018, 4:45 pm   #21
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bass response from ceramic cartridges

And again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	169183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	169184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	169185  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 4:58 pm   #22
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Frank for posting pics, I hope that some forum members will find them of interest.
I should add that I tested the ceramic elements on a scope and they produced a decent output, the problem was corrosion on connectors, two had broken off, and the actual connectors to the ceramic elements were also black, which you can see from pics.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 9:54 am   #23
lesmw0sec
Octode

As the Deram cartridge is mentioned, it might be worth mentioning a comparison I once made between a Deram cartridge and a Decca FFRR moving coil head (same arm, same turntable). I noticed little difference in the frequency response - both sounded excellent, but it was noticable that when some really strong church organ music was played, the Deram seemed to give up a bit on the heavy stuff. Not distortion as such, but an odd effect almost as though compressor had been switched in to the circuit.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 12:43 pm   #24
Trevor
Octode

back in the day 1968 I worked for a small hifi retailer we sold the miniconic which was a strain guage pickup this also need a special psu and you could adjust the output level over a wide range sadly they never caught on
Trev
Closed Thread