UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2017, 8:18 pm   #1
12jslater
Pentode

Default Distortion On Pre War Defiant MSH920 Radio.

I have been using my pre war defiant everyday for the past 3 months since its restoration, it is a proper work horse of a set and when I switched it on yesterday the audio had distortion in a similar way to when audio peaks. Or like when a microphone try's to record with to high of a volume input.

It has been totally recapped and 2 of the resistors were replaced in the restoration.

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Jake
Old 19th Jun 2017, 10:18 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Distortion On Pre War Defiant Radio

Have you tried an external speaker?

I don't have a schematic but it seems to be a 'short superhet'.
Valves are FC4, ACVP1, AC2/PenDD and a UU4.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 10:20 pm   #3
12jslater
Pentode

Yes. I tried one of my hi fi speakers and still the same sound.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 10:49 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have not got the circuit to hand either - sorry. But does this set have a Gram input. If it does see what happens when you feed a signal in there.

If it still sounds bad look around the AC2/PenDD. The manual is not up top - I just looked - but the voltages are here: http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0304.htm

I hope the Output Transformer is OK!

If it is OK then the diodes in the AC2 may be bad but please look at the IF valve - ACVP1.

If you are listening to Radio 4 then try other stations as R4 tends to have sibilance problems.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 9:38 am   #5
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Distortion On Pre War Defiant MSH920 Radio.

Check the soldering on the top cap of the output valve - on the valve itself. These joints often fracture due to thermal fatigue as an output valve runs hotter than an RF stage and there is no flexibility in the connecting lead to relieve stress. It's very hard to spot a broken joint and an eyeglass may be necessary.

A poor connection here will give distortion as the grid potential drifts around, upsetting the bias. As the Mazda valves are tough, they nearly always seem to survive this treatment, and normal operation is restored on resoldering the joint.

As it seems to take about 70 years for these joints to fracture, I have not designed any countermeasures.

Leon.
Closed Thread