UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2015, 10:02 am   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Cowbit Radiophile exposition 20th Sept

Reminder that the Autumn exposition is this coming Sunday at Cowbit. I'll be there, all things being equal. If you would like to have a chat with me (no accounting for tastes) and you don't know me by sight, ask Chas or Jo to point me out for you.
Hope to see you there!
Tony
Old 7th Oct 2015, 11:13 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Cowbit Radiophile exposition 20th Sept

How did Cowbit go, Tony? I spoke to Chas today and I've posted a reminder about the October Gnosall event on this Forum.

Kind regards,

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 9th Oct 2015, 1:49 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Cowbit was again rather poorly attended, with even fewer tables/sellers. The auction was as usual a big one, with many lots. I spent the majority of the time chatting to Chas and one or two regulars. It seems he definitely intends to put the auctions 'on hold', as he describes it. That is NOT the same as permanent cancellation. His main aim presently appears to be the Radiophile magazine production.
From what he inferred he and Jo are working alone and finding it difficult to get through the workload in the time they have.
Whilst I appreciate that life and circumstances sometimes gets in the way of our hobby, I really do think it is regrettable that more of us didn't take the time to put in an appearance at Cowbit and I can only hope that Gnosall is better attended.
Tony
Old 9th Oct 2015, 2:58 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I suppose that we're witnessing the situation where the supply of vintage radios is beginning to exceed demand for them. The inevitable increasing age profile of collectors and restorers of vintage technology is to blame, I suppose. Fingers crossed that Gnosall will be well attended; my table will be full, and I don't want to bring it all back with me!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 9th Oct 2015, 4:28 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As to the low attendance, whilst not in any way questioning Chas's personal reasons for choosing Cowbit (in rural South Lincolnshire) as the location for these events, I have to say that a more out of the way location - far away from areas of high populations density, and with poor road communications - would be difficult to imagine. An hour's travel time by car would take in only several small towns such as Boston, Skegness, Stamford, Spalding, Lincoln, Peterborough, and little else. To use a metaphor, there are far more cabbages than chimney pots to be seen.

If the aim of such an event was to maximise attendance (clearly it isn't), it would need to be sited in say the Nottingham/Derby/Leicester area, which would have a catchment area of an hour's travel by car, which - in addition to those towns - would include many more in the East Midlands/West Midlands conurbations, and being close to the M1/A52/A38 would make the journey 'do-able' from further afield. Likewise, a venue at somewhere such as Sheffield would take in Barnsley, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Worksop, Wakfield, Huddersfield, Leeds and so on - close to the M1/M62.

I have been to a Cowbit event, where I spent an enjoyable couple of hours with Tony, and a nice event it was too. But along with my wife - having lived in Spalding back in the late 1960s and having friends there still - we combined it with a visit to friends. The return journey - close on 200 miles, along rural roads - is arduous.

All other vintage radio events are at locations of high population density, with good roads and close to the motorway network. The fact that we restorers/collectors are indeed becoming an endangered species only serves to underline that if good attendances are the aim, the locations need to be accessible.

As I said at the outset, I'm not in any way beng critical of this or any other event, and it's certainly not for me to dictate to those who put a great deal of time & effort into organsing them (for no reward and little thanks) where they should locate events - I'm simply saying that if the aim is to maximise the attandance, the location is critical. The flip-side of course is that too many radios and too few attendees results in derisory auction 'hammer prices', so yes, for those prepared to make the effort, there are bargains to be had.
Old 9th Oct 2015, 6:11 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I think the Cowbit location was chosen more because Chas and Jo take their holidays close to the village......

Speaking to Chas earlier this week, it is true that the auctions are going to be suspended, Gnosall will be the last sale this year, the pre planned December dates will now be a two day radio workshop event.

Speaking as someone that has helped at numerous Radiophile auctions over the years I can fully understand the reasons behind the decision - numerous vendors that do not send their lots in for the catalogue until far too late, and then the vast quantity of lots left when unsold has left a mountain of stuff that Chas has had to pay to store.

There are other issues at play, mainly revolving around a lack of help available - perhaps things will change in the new year.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 9:20 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've been to Cowbit a few times, but I'm of the same opinion of David regarding it being too out of the way.

Plus the fact that I don't attend the auction as I'm trying to reduce my VR pile, not increase it!

Again, I am not being critical of Chas and Jo, who must spend a great deal of time with such events.