UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:03 am   #1
Alan Kewley
Retired Dormant Member

Default Selena B210/B215

I am the proud owner of 3 Selena radios. 2 B210 and 1 B215 Before I waltz into a major dial restring has anyone have any answer to a problem that plagues all 3? Simply put the dial marker appears to be shifted about a half inch to the left thus indicating about 100KC high on the Broadcast Band. The 2 B215 radios are as new. Regards
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:17 am   #2
maitiustandun
Pentode

Default Re: Selena B210/B215

hi alan, have you tried shifting the indicator one inch to the right on the string , regards mait.
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:52 am   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

You've mentioned only the Broadcast (MW) band; before you go shifting the cursor, is the error evident on all bands? Also, when you tune to each extremity of all bands, does the cursor stop short at one end but try to 'over ride' the pulley at the other end?

If "yes" to both the above questions, then you do indeed need to just move the cursor. Don't pay too much attention to VHF/FM yet though; cursor bang-on with the AM bands but a tad out on the FM band isn't uncommon as the latter is independently tuned internally and for some mysterious reason is often adrift.

Sorry if I've lost the plot, but where does restringing come into it? Maybe you suspect the cursor inaccuracy is due to a drivecord pathing error?
Old 10th Apr 2010, 1:43 am   #4
Alan Kewley
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies, I should have made myself clearer. Firstly the indicator is out to the left on all bands and on all three radios. To access the dial indicator looks to be a somewhat involved task. Danger of a restring would deter the most stout-hearted. Why all three radios and has anyone experienced the same problem? Regards
Old 10th Apr 2010, 9:00 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Why all three are out is anyone's guess, perhaps the same phantom twiddler previously owned all three? Selenas are no better or worse than other sets for non-twiddler-related tuning inaccuracies, although they can sometimes be a bit 'out' on FM.

The cursor is actually easy to access on these. Remove rear panel, remove all knobs (wavechanger is secured by a screw accessed from inside), remove the wooden section of the cabinet. The latter may entail slackening off the bolts which secure the carrying handle but the wooden bit should just lift away without. Unscrew and remove the four long studs to which the rear panel was secured. The chassis will now lift away from the front panel, but the telescopic aerial will need disconnecting; from memory I think it's easier to do this once the chassis is lifted partially away. You can now access the cursor.
Old 10th Apr 2010, 11:56 am   #6
Alan Kewley
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks, I will try the adjustment tonight. Kind regards.
Closed Thread