UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2019, 3:29 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Welwyn MR8F 2 Watt metal film resistors

Hi,

Does anyone have any details on this resistor series? I ask because I purchased a job lot of them recently and they are physically similar in size (18 x 8 mm), but come in four different body colours. The colours are brown, mid grey, pale blue and pale grey. The resistance values don't help, as some turn up with different body colours (1k8 can be brown or pale blue, 24R can be mid grey or pale grey). They all seem to be 1% tolerance, if the brown band signifies this.

I am guessing that they are good quality parts as they came from military stores surplus - perhaps the body colour means nothing of significance.

This forum constantly surprises and pleases me when people come up with details of components, so perhaps someone has info on these Welwyn resistors.

Colin.
Old 5th Sep 2019, 5:26 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Welwyn MR8F 2 Watt metal film resistors

Should be first class components. Reliable, low noise and comfortably in spec.

We used their parts a lot and put all incoming components through statistical quality monitoring.

They will have a spiral cut to get their value and to permit adjustment in manufacturing them, so some values may be a little inductive for RF work.

Body colour varied over the years and we got light blue or brown. Colour code seemed clearer on the blue. I don't think there was any significance.

David