UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:27 pm   #1
akuram1
Pentode

Default Goodmans Freeview box

Does anyone have the answer why my GD11FVZS2 box has lost channel 42. I have tried a new set-up retune and it is not there. My other two tv’s have channel 42 on freeview. Strange. I have actually ordered a new box from Amazon but would be interested for any information why this box has suddenly lost this and I think some other channels.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:46 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Goldman’s Freeview box

Are the TV's that have channel 42 using the same aerial as the TV that doesn't ?

Aub
Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:50 pm   #3
akuram1
Pentode

Yes
Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:54 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

If the rods on your aerial are horizontal you are probably receiving the Angus transmitter.

Are the other COM6 (ch48) services also missing, eg Yesterday (25), Dave ja vu (79), Talking Pictures TV (81)?
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:00 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

This the possible reason?
https://istheservicedown.co.uk/statu...united-kingdom
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:14 pm   #6
akuram1
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
If the rods on your aerial are horizontal you are probably receiving the Angus transmitter.

Are the other COM6 (ch48) services also missing, eg Yesterday (25), Dave ja vu (79), Talking Pictures TV (81)?
Yes it would seem these three are missing on the tv using the Goldman’s box. Aerial is horizontal for Main Angus transmitter and feeds all three TVs via a booster with separate outlets.
I only use freeview on one tv and sky q on the other two.
Strange.
They are all on the TVs with built in tuners at the moment but missing on the one with the box.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:16 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I think not. That site appears to log reports from the public who think their TV or Internet service may be down, but it's not authoritative as far as I can see.

There's a lot of this about on the Interwebs unfortunately, they exist to make money from the ads and clickbait (which I don't see thanks to AdblockPlus)

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 20th Jan 2020 at 10:21 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:22 pm   #8
akuram1
Pentode

I think it might be some update done which makes my box obsolete. Did that not happen some years ago?
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:30 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I thought the recent moves was just channel changes not protocols.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:31 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuram1 View Post
I think it might be some update done which makes my box obsolete. Did that not happen some years ago?
I remember at least three occurrences that affected me, all with different technical reasons, but I doubt very much if that's the issue here.

You said that your unaffected receiver shares the same aerial, but are they connected to separate sockets in different rooms? If so, have you tried swapping them over?
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:40 pm   #11
akuram1
Pentode

No I haven’t tried that. I have ordered a new freeview box and I will try that first. You may be right although I cannot understand why this has just happened. We used channel 42 a lot on that tv with the freeview box and yesterday it just disappeared. 42 is missing from the programme guide. 41 then 43. Will see what happens with the new box and report back.
Thanks
Old 21st Jan 2020, 1:03 pm   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I am also suffering Freeview issues at the moment.
My workshop shares the same rooftop aerial with the rest of the house via a distribution amp. The two Samsung televisions both with built in Freeview HD tuners are working fine.
My fairly new Manhatten Freeview HD box and an older non HD Freeview box which I use in my workshop both have taken a dislike since the Mendip channel/frequency changes. Both pixalate, run slow, freeze and totally lock up. The aerial signal is strong and clean.
I then tried my original Philips SD Freeview box which is about 13 years old which seems to be working fine.
I was advised it might be down to the extra channels on COM7 and COM8 upsetting the prog epg on some Freeview tuners, PVR's and Set Top Boxes.
If the Angus transmitter radiates COM 7 and COM8 it might be reason you are suffering this problem.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 2:07 pm   #13
akuram1
Pentode

Today I had a further try at this and I have found that this fairly old freeview box which worked fine until the other day is not receiving any of the channels on ch 48. There are actually 29 tv and radio on it. It says that it is COM6. Every other channel seems fine but on retune says only 109 channels. The strange thing is that two of the other transmitted channels are higher than 48 and one I think is 36 so the missing one is in the middle.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 2:34 pm   #14
vidjoman
Dekatron

I used a Manhattan Freeview box last year and found it tried to automatically tune to transmitters other than my local one. The answer was to reset to factory settings and then manually tune to the 3 local channels. It then worked correctly.
It might be the case that you may have filled the memory with lots of unwanted channels.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 2:45 pm   #15
akuram1
Pentode

Thanks. I have just followed the instructions on the freeview site which asks me to unplug the box, remove the aerial then do a retune which leaves the box empty. Then plug the aerial back in and retune again which I followed to the letter. Once retuned it is still missing all the channels from “duplex “ channel 48.
As I said I am awaiting a new freeview box and will see how that does.
I am now beat.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 2:56 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Please keep us updated with the fix, whatever it turns out to be.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 3:23 pm   #17
akuram1
Pentode

Will do
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 3:41 pm   #18
akuram1
Pentode

Received the new iView freeview box today. After just transferring cables and scart plug, switching on and first tune now have 139 tv and 31 radio channels where yesterday old box was only tuning 109 tv channels. We now have channel 42 which was how we came to discover we had missing channels. We were missing all channels from one “duplex”.
Cannot understand why it happened but now with a new box everything is back to normal. The freeview box feeds a about 30 year old Sharp tv through a VCR and it provides us with a perfect picture in the dining room twice a day.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:59 am   #19
G8vsjDave
Pentode

I may be barking up the totally wrong tree, but I recall a problem I had with a Goodmans freeview box that I picked up from a car boot sale. The problem was similar to that described in this thread and the cause was instability in the ‘tuner’ section. I was able to reduce and alter the effects by soldering additional ‘ground’ connections to the tuner screen. However, I was unable to fully resolve the problem and eventually scraped the unit.
Dave
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 12:32 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Thanks for the update.