UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2008, 10:24 pm   #1
Mike Noble
Pentode

Default Philips B3G85U very loud hum

While warming up the hum gets so loud that you have to turn it off and the volume control makes no difference. Sounds like 50Hz.
Where should I start? No caps changed yet and everything looks original.
Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by Mike Noble; 17th Sep 2008 at 10:24 pm. Reason: No manufacturer specified.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 10:30 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips B3G85U very loud hum

Capacitors first. C49 of course.

If the hum is 50 Hz and not affected by volume, then are the smoothers OK - C1 and C2 are in a large can. C50 is another possibility.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 10:33 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noble View Post
No caps changed yet and everything looks original. Thanks, Mike.
That'll be the problem then! If the set hasn't been used for ages, the electrolytics will need reforming, if it has been used then they probably want replacing. Don't run it any more without replacing the audio coupling capacitor. If the set has got those big tar-covered black capacitors that Philips favoured, these will probably all need replacing. See the recent thread on capacitors for some good advice.

Rich.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 11:53 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Mike.
I have found the smoothing capacitors in most Philips sets to be very poor so I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the above diagnoses are found to be correct. I have one of these and the HT smoothers are knackered on that one too. These are pleasing sets when going.
Old 18th Sep 2008, 7:23 am   #5
Mike Noble
Pentode

Thanks, I'll try the smoothing caps and replace the black encapsulated type (only two) and see what happens.
I have restored a few radios now but have never had one where the hum is so loud. So loud you have to turn it off before reaching full volume.
Thanks, Mike.
Closed Thread