UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2008, 6:55 pm   #1
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 495 beating

I just finished recapping the set but I now have beats. About four per second and not when a strong station is tuned in. I did not change any of the smaller caps below 1000pf. Any ideas? Using Trader sheet 555. It affects all wavebands is well as the gram.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 7:09 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 495 beating

Have you put anything back in the 'wrong' place, so to speak. Even wires. Something is picking up something else.

C24 and C28 look likely to me. And try adjusting/leaving out C49. If it does it on gram as well, then to me it's past the P.U. sockets.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 7:47 pm   #3
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I just replaced C24 no change.
Took out the tone control c49 and adjusting makes no difference.
C28 was replaced and looks fine.
No improvement yet.
I will try again tomorrow to see if there is anything I missed.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 8:37 pm   #4
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

The only "wrong" I can think of is the placement of the new electrolytics. Are there any things to look out for?
Old 12th Sep 2008, 8:43 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Anything touching or near to wires carrying I.F. or R.F. ! Just put them exactly where the old ones were and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 10:35 pm   #6
flyingtech55
Octode

Did the set work before the recapping?

TimR
Old 13th Sep 2008, 12:11 am   #7
Top Cap
Octode

Check the decouplers are in their correct circuit positions, its easy to make a mistake, we have all done it at some time. The main ones appear to be C11, C12,C13,C14,C15,C16 and C21. However, before you start warming up the soldering iron, check that the motor boating is not due to poor connections to the valves outer metallised coating. Sometimes you can make the instability vanish by placing your hand on the metallising of the culprit valve.
My usual cure for this is to wrap a few evenly spaced turns of tinned copper wire around the valve starting where the valve base meets the glass envelope. If the earthing wire has broken then it is necessary to run a wire from the winding you have made to a convenient earthing point. Sometimes you can run a thin wire down the outside of the base and wrap it round an earthy valve pin. Just make sure you don't accidentally wrap it round the anode pin
Les
Old 13th Sep 2008, 8:04 am   #8
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

The radio was not working but it did have a hummy gram. There were no beats then. There is no metallizing as they are shrouded by cans. Unfortunately I snipped out the electrolytics as they had been done before while waiting for replacements, thinking that it was a simple job.
The other caps were replaced individually, but you know how it is when it looks easy to replace two or three at once.
When tuned into a strong signal, it sounds very impressive.
Old 13th Sep 2008, 11:55 am   #9
Top Cap
Octode

The service sheet I have is for another model supposed to be equivalent to the HMV495 but I have my doubts, so the capacitor references I quoted may be incorrect. The chassis view shows vacant valve holders so I checked up on the quoted valve types, found they were metallised and made the wrong assumption, sorry about that. I have had fun and games in the past with similar faults to this, one thinks that perhaps it could be related to the agc circuit due to the fault going on strong signals. But it could of course be the very fact that agc is present and lowering the gain of the rf circuits and thus clearing the fault that way. If all the decouplers have been changed then the oscillation is certain to be the result of a feed back mechanism somehow. I have a 1930's Pye that plays for hours then suddenly goes off into a howl just for a brief second, then continues to play perfect for another couple of hours. I am still trying to find the cause of that one, I hate intermittent faults like that but all part of the fun I suppose .
Old 13th Sep 2008, 11:59 am   #10
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Heh heh, I just turned the set over after wracking what brains I have left and so I thought I would check the voltages on the valve caps. The first one (V5) I touched with the probe cured the beating.
There was a shield missing on the set so I took one off V4 which cured it.

Last edited by humphrey; 13th Sep 2008 at 12:25 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2008, 4:49 pm   #11
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your help chaps. I checked all the circuits and tidied up as much as I could. When I actually found the real cause I could not believe it was so simple. I will be looking around for another shield but there is no indication that it will be needed. My next problem is the Defiant M900 but that is for tomorow. Almost total silence.
Closed Thread