UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:08 pm   #1
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Default VCM163 tripping

Hi All

Hope everyone is keeping well! I am staying inside like everyone else and I'm getting stuck in to some repairs which have piled up.

The VCM 163 was subject to my attentions a while ago and I started by replacing all the electrolytics. I calibrated the oscillator successfully but the tester trips frequently now, particularly when the circuit selector is changed in the normal testing routine

Just wondering if anyone can give me a clue where to look?

Thanks

Chris G4RBR
Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:12 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: VCM163 tripping

I always think that owning a 163 is a hobby in itself . Sorry, no ideas about the tripping.

B
Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:39 pm   #3
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: VCM163 tripping

Have you checked all of the wires coming to/from the oscillator/amplifier boards?

I have repaired one VCM163 where one of these wires were trapped beneath one of the mounting posts that holds the PCBs. I've repaired another VCM163 where wires were trapped under a mounting post on the front panel too. This resulted in that the plastic insulation was perforated.

Both of these faults had strange results like tripping the overcurrent relay in some instances as the wires shorted to common ground on some settings. I also got strange measurement results.