UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2012, 8:42 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Puzzling Tandberg hum cured!

Hi,
It's not often I post here as I don't usually have that much success with anything without valves in it! However, I feel I have to tell you about a successful repair that I notched up this afternoon.
I bought a Tandberg Series 15 open reel tape recorder a couple of months ago for 4 euros. Apart from a bit of damage to the teak style case, it looked in good order and worked well.
After a while I noticed that there was a hum that came & went at odd times. It disappeared when the volume was turned down so I assumed that the smoothing circuit was OK.
It was raining today so I decided to have a look at it and removed the chassis from its case. Sitting flat on the bench the hum was present, tipping the chassis up onto its rear side, the hum stopped. Putting back down made the hum reappear again. Hm? I spent a while checking the inter-chassis plugs and cleaning switches, etc. It turns out that it was a capacitor. The soldered joint between the cap & the printed circuit had fractured and was intermittent. It was the larger cap on the power amp board, it must smooth the circuitry before the volume control as I could turn the hum down to nearly zero. Also, the hum would be recorded onto the tape even with the gain controls at zero.
After resoldering the joint it is now nice & quiet. I think it must have been dropped at some time in the past, then disposed of because of the hum, perhaps.
Cheers, Pete
Old 26th Sep 2012, 10:09 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Puzzling Tandberg hum cured!

Well done Pete ,a very nice tape recorder well worth saving. Mick.
Old 27th Sep 2012, 12:56 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Puzzling Tandberg hum cured!

As a long term tandberg fan (owning ten of them!) , I say well done. Remember, with a new belt, these machines simply fly.
Closed Thread