UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2018, 10:24 pm   #1
Pauljwhite1975
Diode

Default Garrard 4HF help please

Hi all.

New to the forum, so firstly thank you for having me.

Recently picked up a 4HF in decentish condition. It was advertised as working, however and as a lot of them seem to the be the rpm selector was jammed and the speed selector will only stay on the bottom spindle and not move up. Also the linkage almost seems a bit loose, as when selecting auto return it will only work when I manually and gently pull back on the linkage.

Following advice carefully that I have read on this site, I cleaned as much as possible of the linkage and the olied all places mentioned on this site with sewing machine oil, however I am a complete novice and do not wish to force anything. Any suggestions on how to get the speed selector to move up and down freely please? Or worse case scenario can anyone suggest a good repair/ service company within Surrey please?

Also found this bit loose in the deck after I took off the plate. Think it is from the gear selector? Sorry won't let me upload a pic. It looks like a tiny cell battery with two prongs coming out either side -||-

Thanks again, Paul.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 10:46 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 4HF help please

Hello and welcome.
See here for help to upload pictures: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:25 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The loose item you found is highly likely to be the "switch click suppessor" that Garrard fitted. This is a capacitor that minimises "switch clicks" coming from mains arcing when the motor is turned on or off.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:29 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Just to clarify, the 4HF does not auto-return. The Auto function simply stops the motor at the centre of the record.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 5:18 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

I have recently restored a 4HF, and as you know you need to lift the arm and move it to the right to start it. It is possible the arm may have been moved too far and the total arm travel is insufficient. Where the moving parts have not responded to oil the method I use is to heat using a gas torch. The auto stop and non auto buttons must only be pressed when the arm is on its rest. The switch suppressor (snubber) can be replaced by a 47n 250vAC capacitor in series with a 220R resistor mounted on a tagstrip.
Closed Thread