UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2017, 9:05 pm   #1
kipperdog
Tetrode

Default Triumph stereo cassette deck

Hi, been given this Triumph TC400 for repair. All of the mechanism drive belts have turned to liquid so the deck need to be stripped completely and cleaned. does anyone know where I can get some service information? Have looked on the internet but had no luck. tia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_214940.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	140923  
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:00 pm   #2
Records
Hexode

Default Re: Triumph stereo cassette deck

Looks like a Hitachi rebrand, i had a Hitachi amp and tapedeck that looked very similar
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:15 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I think Triumph was the 70s Currys house brand for low end hifi. It will have been OEMd by one of the Japanese big boys, possibly Hitachi indeed, but there is unlikely to have been an identical Hitachi model, at least in the UK market.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:38 pm   #4
Tom_I
Heptode

Found one for sale online, and it has this on the back - as Paul says.

It doesn't help with the manufacturer, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TC-400.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	140924  
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:49 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Indeed. Such "upermarket specials", all sourced from the same factory, would have been sold under a variety of names in different countries.

Post some interior shots, and somebody might recognise the mechanism or the PCB as being similar to something for which a manual is available.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 11:35 pm   #6
paulsherwin

With a simple deck like this there is usually a main flat capstan belt running from the motor pulley to the capstan flywheel, and a thin belt driving the tape counter and autostop sensor. The rest of the drive will use idler wheels or occasionally gears. You can work out what belts are required by experimenting with one of the eBay 'bag of belts' available for about a fiver.

You do need to consider how much effort is sensible to rescue a low end deck like this though. Quite good decks are usually available from eBay for little money. You even find them on Freecycle/Freegle.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 12:30 pm   #7
kipperdog
Tetrode

OK, thanks for the input everyone
Old 1st May 2017, 9:23 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

I picked one of these up at a boot sale years ago. Unfortunately someone had been hacking at it with a screwdriver to remove a jammed cassette (there was still tape wrapped around the pinch roller!). In fact it was so hamfisted an attempt that they'd scratched a gouge into the head! The head itself seemed of very good quality, F&F or similar. The mech is a soft touch powered type which was good.
I'd say it is similar to a Nikko deck I now own, but don't quote me on that!

I ended up scrapping it after the motor driver IC packed up, but I'd probably buy another one if I saw it. For the sake of a couple of belts, worth getting going I'd say.
Closed Thread