UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2018, 7:12 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Broken AVO Model 7 for £170?

There's an argument that says removing poor examples of a particular thing from circulation boosts the value of the better-quality ones which remain in circulation.

"Repurposing" old stuff is surely better than having it go to landfill?

Example: I couldn't afford the space power airconditioning or software-licences to run an *actual* VAX 11/780 as a fully-functioning computer. But a "VAXbar" - http://toyvax.glendale.ca.us/~vance/vaxbar_decus.html - would look rather good in my rumpus-room.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 7:24 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Actually I find the Vaxbar as objectionable as others here find turning AVOmeters into lamps, etc. I am not sure I could find spave for an 11/780, but I sure would try if I was offered one, and while I would not try to run it 24/7, I would boot it from time to time.

As it is, I just have the 11/730, which is a lot smaller (a half-height rack, also contains the hard disk and 9 track magnetic tape drive) and takes a lot less power. And no, I have no intention of repurposing that, it will run with the original hardware as DEC designed it. Along with the PDP11s and PDP8s that are also here...
Old 9th Jun 2018, 9:00 am   #23
Station X

This thread contained multiple blatant breaches of the eBay rules.

Pushing the boundaries won’t change the rules.

Some posts edited. Some posts deleted. Thread closed.

Quote:
We do not permit any post which could lead to discussion of any eBay item, its listing or vendor.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread