UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2009, 3:20 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default More Bell Tinkle

I have a 150 telephone which I bought without any internal wiring at all. I have wired it up in accordance with the circuit diagram on the British Telephones web site, but with just an induction coil instead of a bellbox. I have just used the A and B wires in the line cord, leaving the blue lead unconnected

It works well except that the other phones in the house tinkle when I dial out. Could this be because the blue lead is disconected? Can anyone advise me how I can stop the tinkling?

Thanks

Paul
Old 15th Feb 2009, 11:39 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: More Bell Tinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
'...I have just used the A and B wires in the line cord, leaving the blue lead unconnected

It works well except that the other phones in the house tinkle when I dial out. Could this be because the blue lead is disconected? Can anyone advise me how I can stop the tinkling?'

Thanks

Paul
It sounds to me like:
  • Your other telephones and bells are not connected to the bell 'third wire' that you should have from the master LJU to all the sockets (terminal 3). Are your extensions wired corectly? What happens if you connect another pulse-telephone to the socket where your 150 instrument is normally connected?
  • You have ADSL (broadband) plug-in filters on the telephones that are 'tinging' when you dial out on your 150. An ADSL filter disconnects your bell 'third wire' and effectvely each slave socket (LJU) becomes a master socket.
I suggest the reason for your bell-tinkle lies with your internal telephone wiring, not your telephone. Check that, from your master box, you have contiguous connections from terms. 2, 3, and 5 to terms. 2, 3 and 5 on all your extension sockets.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 16th Feb 2009, 1:43 pm   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

Thank you for your reply Russell,

I had a 200 series phone connected to where I was trying the 150. That gave a little "tinkling" on one phone with a warble type ringer, but the others were OK. The ringer on that phone seems particularly sensitive and often makes little noises, so I never really bothered about it. The 150 makes all the phones tinkle. The ringing wire in the 200 is connected as per the instructions I got when I bought a conversion kit for it, but I am not sure what it does in a phone with no bell.

Re your second point, I have a series of sockets downstairs on one lead which plugs into the master socket via one ADSL filter. The intention was to avoid the necessity for having separate filters for each socket. The wiring to one socket upstairs is hard wired into the master and is an "official" BT extension. Into that is plugged the phone which has always tinkled via an ADSL filter, and another extension leading to the broadband modem (obviously with no filter).

Am I right in thinking that the ringing wire is only used for ringing and so can be disconnected in a phone that doesn't have a bell or is there more to it than that?

I will check the continuity of the wiring as soon as I can.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by PaulR; 16th Feb 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2009, 5:27 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

The ringing wire (pin 3) needs to be shorted to pin 5 whenever the phone is off the hook, to suppress tinkling caused by LD dialling pulses. However, ADSL filters regenerate the pin 3 signal locally (and with only enough oomph to ring one phone). So I'm afraid the only way to suppress tinkling when ADSL filters are in use, is to use DTMF
Old 16th Feb 2009, 5:39 pm   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

Thanks for the reply AJS. That gives me a bit more information on the mysteries of telephones.

I have actually recently fitted a Rotatone to my 200 series to get DTMF with very satisfactory results. My wife says it spoils the originality, though. It would certainly seem wrong to fit one to a candlestick!!

Paul
Closed Thread