UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2019, 2:20 pm   #41
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Philips 170A restoration

There were at least two differing tuning scales for the UK version of the 170A. As I recall, the main difference was in the waveband indicator, some being on a radius to follow a pivoted pointer, and others being parallel to the waveband scales. No doubt sets for non UK markets would have used other variants.

Leon.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 2:49 pm   #42
McMurdo
Dekatron

if the Dual turntable has a modern magnetic pickup then I doubt you'll get much volume coupling it to the radio unless you have an RIAA pre amp in between.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 6:06 pm   #43
Luxman1050
Octode

Wow plenty of info there. Great many thanks.
Glad I sused out the tunning dial as initially I thought oh here we go slack some where another job ha.

I'll give the gram a go its etched on the back where the switch is G/R so no problems there. That all works fine had the radio on all day yesterday from 8.30am until 10pm last night. So if anything was going to go wrong then I'm sure it would have.

I read some where that if the resistors are out of spec and fail they can do damage to the output transformer on this particular model is that right? Just double checking as I appreciate the old adage if it aint broke don't change it.

Al not sure what your on but the front panel does not look like a 170A panel!!! Well the ones I have looked at must all be wrong as well because unless my eyes are deceiving me they look the same. The switch from SW to LW to MW all light up when chosen so if it was wrong type of panel surely they would not line up would they? The magic eye also lines up with the port hole I'm pretty sure that would not if it where wrong do you? I do have the part number on side of glass if you would like to cross reference let me know.
I replaced all rubber gaskets around the glass panel and the glass sheet underneath. The reflector panel and glass sheet have both been re sprayed so maybe that's why it may look different as it's no longer dirty. Just a thought.

Oh and this was interesting connected up an outside aerial and low and behold nothing. Then connected the normal aerial nothing. But prior to this this morning re checked all the wiring and noticed a couple had split so changed them. Still nothing so panick kicked in "what have I done"?
Took the valves out and low and behold one of the EF39s caps had broken off the wire sheared of from the glass so there was no connection. So I'm quite happy now that I spent 12 quid on two new ones.

But again guys many thanks for the positive input it's much appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Pic attached of cap and underside of chasis I hope it is the original one!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_173222.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	189139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_154054.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	189140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_154048.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	189141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_154043.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	189142  
Old 30th Aug 2019, 9:18 pm   #44
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm1christopher View Post

I read some where that if the resistors are out of spec and fail they can do damage to the output transformer on this particular model is that right? Just double checking as I appreciate the old adage if it aint broke don't change it.
The only one that is likely to do that is the one from the cathode of the output valve to chassis. Otherwise it sounds like that quote is from someone who likes changing resistors for no reason.

Most of these quotes are from people who have spent most of their time working on solid state stuff where resistor values can be much more critical. Believe me most can be as much as 50% out and the set will still be working well (with some exceptions). If you are really itching to change some resistors because you think they should be, just check the cathode bias resistor as suggested above. If you measure most of them you'll be surprised how good they are.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 9:48 pm   #45
cathoderay57
Nonode

Re: dials, and thanks to the past times radio website, here is the "new Philips 170A" dial http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/dials/new170A.jpg and the old one, which is the same as the Mullard "woodie" MAS281/15 http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/dial...MAS281dial.jpg. I will shortly be posting a thread on my conversion of a Mullard chassis to fit a Philips bakelite cabinet, including a repro dial of the new style using the scan from the link above. However, if anyone is thinking of doing the same, bear in mind that the wavechange is in the opposite sense for the 2 versions I.e. for the old one LW is in the furthest clockwise switch position and SW is at the furthest anti-clockwise. Because of the positions of the slots in the rotating mask that lets light through to illuminate the waveband, the new dial is revealed in the opposite sense. That means if you swap the dials either you have to transpose 6 wires at the wavechange wafers or else turn the wavechange selector arm around and fix an extra pulley to the front of the chassis for the wavechange cordwire which is what I have done. Cheers, Jerry

Last edited by cathoderay57; 30th Aug 2019 at 9:59 pm.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 11:14 pm   #46
Luxman1050
Octode

Again many thanks for input Jerry.
Can I ask another question what is the silver foil for aerial and on base actually made of is it a special type of foil as I'd like to replace mine as it's showing it's age abit and smarten things up.

Cheers Chris
Old 31st Aug 2019, 1:14 am   #47
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Philips 170A restoration

Quote:

Al - not sure what your on . . .

Chris
I beg your pardon?
I may have misunderstood that remark. To avoid further confusion, please explain . . .
Thanks.

Al.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 1:20 am   #48
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Philips 170A restoration

Quote:
Al - not sure what your on but the front panel does not look like a 170A panel!!! Well the ones I have looked at must all be wrong as well because unless my eyes are deceiving me they look the same. The switch from SW to LW to MW all light up when chosen so if it was wrong type of panel surely they would not line up would they? The magic eye also lines up with the port hole I'm pretty sure that would not if it where wrong do you? I do have the part number on side of glass if you would like to cross reference let me know.

Chris
In the context of my post to which that reply refers, I cannot make any sense out of your reply at all.

Al.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 9:09 am   #49
Luxman1050
Octode

And I quote re screen "is slightly different to the one fitted in a 170A that I remember from my childhood, which, yes, was many, many years ago. So, were there different tuning scales fitted or is my memory deceiving me? "However, I must say that I have a strong feeling that it isn't"
Seems you where trying to say that my particular model is not original as quoted above. But thankfully you have been corrected on your assumption.
Offense was taken based on your I'm sure I'm right quote.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 9:19 am   #50
cathoderay57
Nonode

Quote:
what is the silver foil for aerial and on base actually made of is it a special type of foil as I'd like to replace mine as it's showing it's age a bit and smarten things up
Nothing special about the foil as far as I know. Bacofoil glued on should do the job but make sure the connecting wire has a good connection to the foil.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 9:49 am   #51
Luxman1050
Octode

Cheers
Old 31st Aug 2019, 10:51 am   #52
Luxman1050
Octode

Does anyone have a spare pair of clamps for sale for the top part of the rear panel which fits on rear of radio.

Cheers Chris
Old 31st Aug 2019, 11:13 am   #53
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
And I quote re screen "is slightly different to the one fitted in a 170A that I remember from my childhood, which, yes, was many, many years ago. So, were there different tuning scales fitted or is my memory deceiving me? "However, I must say that I have a strong feeling that it isn't"

Seems you where trying to say that my particular model is not original as quoted above. But thankfully you have been corrected on your assumption.
Offense was taken based on your I'm sure I'm right quote.
I was not, repeat not, trying to say that your particular model is not original as quoted above. There is absolutely nothing in my remark which could be taken to suggest your assumption, i.e. I quote "Seems you where . . ." [I think you mean 'were']

Overall I am deeply offended by your remarks and do not intend to contribute any further to this thread.

Al.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 12:22 pm   #54
Station X

Thread closed pending pruning and editing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 1:04 pm   #55
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I am disgusted by the attitude of certain posters in this thread. This is supposed to be a friendly, welcoming forum.

This thread will remain closed.

Any repeat of this sort of posting in other threads will result in the posters being banned.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread