UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:20 pm   #181
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Electric clocks running slow warning

Wind ans solar are the culprits for drift.
They just generate a reconstituted sine wave from DC using a 10khz clock. You can hear the 10khz clocked transformer "buzzing" when you walk past a field of solar panels while the sun is shining. I have heard reports that wind turbines make the same noise.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 1:14 pm   #182
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

That is not why frequency drift occurs. It is the relatively uncontrollable MW which are the problem. All generators on the grid at a given time generate exactly the same frequency (however they do it), otherwise things go bang.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 2:59 pm   #183
tealandsilver
Tetrode

The demand profile is always leading the generation profile which creates the frequency deviations. "Modulation" is still done, but only by those generators who have the ability (CCGT, Hydro, OCGT, coal etc). Electricity is "sold" into the grid via BETTA (British Electricity Trading Transmission Arrangements). Prior to 2005 this was done under NETA (New Energy Trading Arrangements). The energy itself is governed by the Grid Code, which is a fun read. There is no requirement, legal or otherwise for generators to "catch up" or "slow down". Yes, decades ago when nationalised, all stations had master clocks which enabled the stations to correct, but that was long ago and before the energy trading and grid codes were adopted for the privatised industry.
https://www.nationalgrid.com/sites/d...rid%20Code.pdf
Old 4th Apr 2018, 5:07 pm   #184
emeritus
Dekatron

My mains electric clock, which I adjusted to BST, is presently keeping perfect time by the pips (as heard on FM).

In view of the present-day concern about security, when I was with GEC I was interested to find in our office some copies of a journal about nuclear power generation, published in the 1960's, each issue of which featured a different nuclear power station, accompanied by a multi-layer coloured isometric drawing of the power station, with different layers printed on different transparent sheets which you could peel away layer by layer to see exactly what was inside and where it was in three dimensions.

Last edited by emeritus; 4th Apr 2018 at 5:15 pm.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 8:53 pm   #185
kalee20
Dekatron

I've just reset my Philips digital radio alarm clock (which I'm 99% sure uses mains as a frequency reference).

Later this year I hope to have a Goblin Time Spot running, which definitely does.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:03 pm   #186
tealandsilver
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
In view of the present-day concern about security, when I was with GEC I was interested to find in our office some copies of a journal about nuclear power generation, published in the 1960's, each issue of which featured a different nuclear power station, accompanied by a multi-layer coloured isometric drawing of the power station, with different layers printed on different transparent sheets which you could peel away layer by layer to see exactly what was inside and where it was in three dimensions.
Having worked in nuclear power for over 34 years I remember them well! I was involved for a while in commissioning, and for a young Engineer they were invaluable. The later AGR's and Sizewell PWR had similar publications. I still have a NEI Heysham/Torness cross sectional wall schematic. I've managed to find them on line at
http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm/search/c.../subjec/ad/asc
Old 8th Apr 2018, 1:35 pm   #187
trobbins
Heptode

Local distribution network voltage waveform distortion may have some interaction with certain vintage digital clocks. I recall that houses nearby telephone exchanges back in the 70-80's have complained about clock inaccuracy - the large 6-pulse scr phase reg battery chargers were known to cause voltage waveform glitches that could cause additional zero crossings.

Nowadays there may be the chance of local interaction with PV inverters that use a common technique for anti-islanding whereby part of the voltage waveform is left 'unfilled', and if the grid doesn't cause a suitable response during that short duration then that is a mechanism for ascertaining that the grid is lost and hence to disconnect. That waveform disturbance can be an issue for other equipment, and for the PV inverters themselves if the local grid impedance is high enough.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 11:30 am   #188
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It seems that Europe have been doing some catching-up:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...o-oven-clocks/
Old 9th Apr 2018, 2:29 pm   #189
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealand silver
Yes, decades ago when nationalised, all stations had master clocks which enabled the stations to correct, but that was long ago and before the energy trading and grid codes were adopted for the privatised industry.
The clocks only enabled the station to correct when running in 'island' mode after a grid split. Under normal conditions it was NGC-instructed frequency targets which did this.

I seem to recall some of my colleagues fuming about the new grid code because it appeared to have much more economic/commercial input into its writing than EE input. The early versions led to much game-playing by the generators, even though the government seemed surprised by this. Who would have thought that newly-formed commercial enterprises would seek to maximise profit rather than deliver reliable power?
Old 9th Apr 2018, 9:05 pm   #190
tealandsilver
Tetrode

Yes, I remember some of the games that were played, including the time that the generators were nearly paid at £0/MWH as they had all bid into the pool at £0 to ensure they generated. I was reasonably insulated from most of the shenanigans as I worked for a nuclear generator, although even then there was the occasional try on.

Last edited by tealandsilver; 9th Apr 2018 at 9:07 pm. Reason: Correction to post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 11:40 am   #191
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, I heard that free power appeared from time to time. The opposite trick was to (commercially) withdraw plant which was actually (technically) available so that the price shot up and then maybe you could get paid extra for bringing it back in as an emergency. It is an example of the general idea that people maximise whatever they get rewarded for maximising, even when this is not what is intended to happen.
Old 21st May 2018, 12:31 am   #192
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I've just restored a 1934 synchronous clock and it's been on soak test for a few days. Remembering this thread, I kept an eye on the clock's second hand, and late last night it was running five seconds behind. This morning, it was just three seconds behind, and now it has caught up completely. Fascinating.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st May 2018, 7:56 am   #193
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's good to know. Normal service has been restored on my old clocks too, thank goodness.
Old 21st May 2018, 12:46 pm   #194
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I wondered what was up with some of my digital clocks earlier this year so this thread has been illuminating. I still have the electric clock that sat on the mantelpiece in the front ('best') room of my parents' house and pre-dates me by a good number of years I'm sure. We had other clocks but 'the electric' was the gold standard in our house and the one we always knew to be 'correct' (what little did we know!).

Recently, given the mains frequency issues, the ever-reliable quartz kitchen clock has been the one to check. The only time it is touched is when the hour changes. However, it did fail a month ago. A quick inspection of the slightly leaky AA battery confirmed the likely problem. Bearing in mind a recent thread about battery life I checked the 'best before' date: June 2011.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:06 pm   #195
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I'm pleased that this thread, like many old clocks, is still going! I set my latest acquisition, a Ferranti model 7 alarm clock with sweep seconds hand, running at exactly GMT the night the clocks changed (October 27th) and since then I have monitored twice daily how far it deviates from 'correct' time, as displayed on a radio-controlled digital clock. The results are quite surprising.

For the first day, the synchronous clock ran a few seconds slow, but for the rest of the first week it ran fast, increasing from just 2 seconds fast on the 29th to a peak of 40 seconds fast on November 3rd. Then something seems to have happened, and the grid slowed down overnight to the point where the clock was just 4 seconds fast on the morning of the 4th, and spot-on again just after midnight on the 5th. Since then it has deviated a few seconds both fast and slow, but as I write it is just one second slow.

This is probably nothing more than random variation, but it is tempting to think that some control is still being exercised. I'll keep checking twice daily. It is also reasonable to expect that anyone doing the same exercise anywhere in the UK would see the same results.

Old 8th Nov 2018, 1:08 am   #196
Dai Corner
Hexode

Interesting observations Phil. I'm imagining there might be one or two 'old school' staff left at the National Grid who notice these things and make corrections (within the limits allowed) when they are on duty. Then things drift again when they have their rest days.

I wish I had a suitable clock!
Old 10th Nov 2018, 11:36 pm   #197
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Coincidentally, a letter has just appeared in the December 2018 issue of ‘Engineering and Technology’, the members’ journal of the IET which was previously better known as the Institution of Electrical Engineers, from a chap who works for the company that “supplies the frequency measuring and display system used in the National Grid Control Rooms”. By all accounts, the discrepancy between ‘grid time’ and ‘atomic time’ is indeed still being monitored and managed. The writer states: “Even in the late 1990s it was uncommon for that to deviate by more than five seconds and it changed very slowly. Today, 30-second deviations and a faster rate of change is much more the norm. We have even seen deviation figures of 45 seconds occasionally.”

The key words in this letter are, and I quote, “Yes, the system time is still managed by the Grid to keep mains-driven synchronous electric clocks accurate.”

Old 10th Nov 2018, 11:56 pm   #198
Refugee
Dekatron

The loading on the base load stations must be a bit more variable now that we have solar and wind on line.
This could be checked by looking at the weather and checking the gridwatch website.
Old 11th Nov 2018, 12:17 am   #199
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Agreed, that’s what’s causing the greater and more frequent instantaneous frequency deviation, but we’ve been discussing whether or not National Grid has abandoned the medium and long-term control of the actual number of cycles generated on a daily, weekly or annual basis. It appears this is still being done, but maybe the discrepancy is being allowed to widen.

Old 11th Nov 2018, 12:42 am   #200
Refugee
Dekatron

It is the answer to a potential question that may well get asked at any time.
Now we can just say go to post #199 for the answer.
Closed Thread