UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2015, 5:03 pm   #21
terrykc
Heptode

Default Re: HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT PC

Well, I popped over to Dave's house yesterday afternoon and picked mine up and I must say I'm highly delighted with it!

I want to leave the old xP machine in a functional location for the time being so there was usual process of un-weaving the mains, video and network cables from the inevitable tangle and re-routing them without too much furniture shifting. I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse so that's two less cables to worry about!

During this process I came across a box containing a variety of adapter cards, several of them being for USB. As the 'new' PC has 6 USB ports on the back and another 4 on the front, I don't somehow think I'm going to need them any more! (There are four empty expansion slots on the PC, by the way.)

Now it's up and running I'm going through the usual process of re-installing all of the software and trying to remember all the passwords I usually rely on the PC to look after!

I'm running Bitdefender on the Laptop so, hopefully, I can retrieve them all from there!

Anyway, I've installed Microsoft Security Essential and re-installed Office (2007), Chrome and Dropbox but, from past experience, its seems like the beginning of a never ending battle ...

A couple of points: first, it looks nice and clean and neat inside although I did find a small dust build up on the processor fan but a lot less than I'd expect over 4 years - it must have been in a very clean environment before! Anyway, it's nice and clean now.

The other point is that, as Dave pointed out in his original post, there is no DVD drive. Fortunately, Dave forewarned me that it needs a SATA drive. I've used several SATA HDDs but only IDE DVD drives before so, if you're like me, don't get caught out!

Incidentally, these are in a vertical format, so have provision for a second HDD. When I've transferred everything I need for the xP machine I'm going to transplant the 1TB drive into it.

Thanks again, Dave - it's a splendid bargain: what else can I say?
Old 20th Sep 2015, 10:36 am   #22
rayfarrar
Triode

I'd like to echo Terry's comment. I bought two of them because the 4Gb memory in each PC is on a single card so there are 3 empty slots. I used the hard drive and memory from one of the PC's to upgrade the other. Windows 7 64 bit can make use of the 8Gb memory so it really zips along now - not bad for 50 quid all in

Thanks for offering these to the group Dave.

Best regards

Ray
Old 20th Sep 2015, 11:41 am   #23
arjoll
Nonode

These are a great machine - I sold quite a few, and they are only a couple of generations old - the 6300 and ProDesk 600 G1 were later versions. The last 6200 I sold was in August 2012.

GBP25-35 is an excellent price, even if they only turn out to be the i3 version, and they will run Windows 10 with no difficulties at all. If I was in the UK, I'd probably pick up half a dozen to resell to clients
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HP Compaq 6200 Pro Series.pdf (1.28 MB, 281 views)
Old 20th Sep 2015, 12:26 pm   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
GBP25-35 is an excellent price, even if they only turn out to be the i3 version...
The BIOS screenshot in the first post shows it to be a 2.7GHz Pentium 4, though they may vary.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 20th Sep 2015, 2:25 pm   #25
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
The BIOS screenshot in the first post shows it to be a 2.7GHz Pentium 4, though they may vary.
Not a P4. The G630 was introduced in 2011: http://ark.intel.com/products/53483/...Cache-2_70-GHz

The P4 was succeeded by the various Core architecture types (Core 2, Dual Core and all that). A decent move forward away from the NetBurst P4 architecture. That was more than 10 years back.

Then along came the Nehalem types, which introduced the "i" branding. The entry level processors were branded "Pentium", then "i3" was next up, followed by "i5" and "i7".

Then Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge followed. This time, they reintroduced the Celeron brand as the entry level chip, then there was Pentium, i3, i5 and i7.

Impressively, Sandy Bridge integrated the memory controller and graphic processor on the CPU die!

It's all quite confusing

The G630 is a Sandy Bridge processor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge - and therefore, it's quite a recent machine. It's "only" a Pentium, but at least it's not a Celeron. Upgrading to an i3, i5 or i7 is quite feasible.

There is a list of compatible processors in the documentation from HP: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04123261.pdf - no-doubt others are compatible as well. If seeking an upgraded CPU second-hand, be sure you're getting a second-generation processor that fits the socket (LGA1155).

Personally, I stopped using P4s a couple of years back. Anything more recent than a P4 is a worthwhile upgrade, and the reduced TDP means the savings in electricity usage alone will contribute to paying for whatever you paid to replace it. For anyone still in the P4 era, these machines are well worth snapping up
Old 20th Sep 2015, 2:48 pm   #26
paulsherwin

The fact that they use DDR3 memory indicates they're not very old. This is a better spec than any PC I own
Old 20th Sep 2015, 3:13 pm   #27
David Church
Hexode

Hi all here is an update.

These are selling well but no worries I have more than enough to get everyone sorted (as of 3pm today anyone who has pm’d, phoned or sent carrier pigeon has one reserved even if we get a bulk order, offered better price or whatever. The deal will be honoured).

Tomorrow I am going to look at all requests for units; and all those that have to be ready for Harpendon or are going to be collected will be done first (I will start tonight) as it is taking ages and all those I had previously done are gone. All those that need courier will be accommodated towards the end of the week (hopefully). They are all the same so no one will get the dregs.

I have been running backwards and forwards setting them up (I only have three screens and one is down the bottom in the gym) and Benita is not impressed with ‘those ****** machines’ so now need to take her to weatherspoons for a meal and G&T (large).

As the guys who have tried them said – they are decent machines around 4 years old and run win 7 pro or win 10 comfortably. We are not making money out of these they are for the ‘lads’ at a decent price as I imagine old boys huddled round a win 97 box need the push to upgrade.

Tomorrow I will make a list and contact all outstanding customers.

Mark H – no worries - I will find VB round the valve amps

Anyone able to take one from Harpendon or the audio jumble to

Ayr Ayrshire for radioman
Sleaford, Lincs. For Dr wobble
Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 for station x
Durham, UK. For jefferyabb

please let me or the guy know
Old 20th Sep 2015, 5:14 pm   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Dave, as they are all basically the same hardware just set up one and then clone the hard disk with something like Acronis TrueImage or one of the free disk cloning tools (there is a recent thread in MT discussing the various disk cloning options).

You may have to enter the new Windows Key and reactivate each PC, but it will save hours compared to installing them all from scratch. If you are installing from HP media (which doesn't ask for the key at all) then the cloned drives will work with no fuss as the OEM version installed still matched the BIOS.

Thank you for clarifying the Pentium versions - it does get confusing with that name hanging around and being reused!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 20th Sep 2015, 7:08 pm   #29
David Church
Hexode

Hi Paul

Yup - that's a way forward but this is working, and I am not standing over them. Most of them are bare box's at £25 each anyway but I am obliged to see the drives wiped to the fsa standard anyway

To be fair when soaps or whatever are on then I have one going in the gym so can go down there or up to the office or into the front bedroom and play with whatever I like

good tip though, cheers.
Old 20th Sep 2015, 9:44 pm   #30
arjoll
Nonode

Quote:
I didn't spot that - I must admit I didn't look in too much detail but just recognised the model from the title. The standard builds in the AP region were all Core i series, but this was probably different in the EU, and in any case if you are buying more than a few HP PCs it's worth requesting a CTO build with your exact required spec - given the quantity I suspect these are CTOs. In this region that means that the product code ends up with "AV" at the end.

Still, a very good deal!

Quote:
If you are installing from HP media (which doesn't ask for the key at all) then the cloned drives will work with no fuss as the OEM version installed still matched the BIOS.
Cloning will probably do that, but if you use the preferred method of using sysprep to reseal them then they do lose the HP key. Still, it's a matter of just entering the key from the PC, so no harm is done.

If the OP doesn't have the HP recovery media and driver CD for these I will almost certainly have an image here, but generic Windows 7 and the drivers from HPs website will probably be quicker than me uploading 8+ GB to OneDrive for him to download (oh how I wish I was in a UFB fibre zone!)
Old 24th Sep 2015, 2:14 pm   #31
David Church
Hexode

I am getting in a bit of a muddle with all the names then real names and who wants what so

This Sunday I am bringing

2 @ £25 for Cathovisor, he is also taking 1 for Dr Wobble (already paid for)

Mike (Crackle) wants 1 @ £25

Herald1360 wants 1 @ £25 Nickthedentist wants 1 @ £25

Beamcurrent wants 1 @ £25

Vinyalspinner 1 @ £25 and 1 @ £35

Then at the Tonbridge audio jumble I am brining 2 @ £25 for Mark to be picked up by VB

Radioman and station x want 1 each @ £25 to be posted

Old sparky wants 1 @ £25 and Mark might be able drop one off (if I have that right)

And of course you ppppenguin 
Old 24th Sep 2015, 2:43 pm   #32
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks Dave. And say hello from me to Jeffrey when you see him
Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:17 pm   #33
AC/HL

One off topic post deleted.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:41 pm   #34
David Church
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
One off topic post deleted.
Hiya - what was off topic? I was pointing the lads that bought PC's from me to a cheap way to get high quality digital out from the units. The adaptor was the correct one to convert the socket to hdmi, and as there are many different combinations - male / female / mini / micro and standard I thought it would be of service. I had bought one and it worked very well.

Anyway sorry if I shouldn't have put it in here
Old 1st Oct 2015, 11:37 pm   #35
AC/HL

Hi Dave,
If you think it's of general interest to PC owners, please raise a new thread to that effect (bearing in mind the Ebay rules). You are welcome to PM the people who bought them from you of course.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 9:22 am   #36
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Dave and Bill,

I'll start a new thread about these handy machines if that's OK, as I'm sure there will be many of us wanting to share tips: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...737#post789737

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 2nd Oct 2015 at 9:29 am.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 9:22 am   #37
David Church
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
If you think it's of general interest to PC owners, please raise a new thread to that effect (bearing in mind the Ebay rules). You are welcome to PM the people who bought them from you of course.
Hi Bill - this is probably only of interest to the guys who bought these rather than general interest, but I certainly want to make these guys aware because its a massive benefit – I didn’t realize there was an ebay rule, sorry.

I have re-worded it - hope this is OK –

All you guys who bought one of the HP PC’s from me please be aware there is an additional port at the back, a DisplayPort. A DisplayPort was an idea that never really took off as HDMI won, but if you buy a simple adaptor it lets you plug a standard HDMI cable in and connect it to your TV or Monitor. The graphics output is much, much better.

I did this with a vanilla HP PC that I am shifting and the output was very noticeably better. I bought the adaptor for under £3 inc postage from a source I shall reveal if you PM me.

I take the option of opt-in as if I pm everyone who bought one (loads who bought one didn’t post but simply pm’s me) it will take a long time and Mrs unreal is not happy with the time I am spending for (her words, not mine) peanuts.

Unfortunately she does not get the intangible benefits of Karma.

Anyway if you buy an adaptor on your own please remember to get the correct orientation and also don’t get the mini one

Cheers

Dave (unreal)
Old 15th Oct 2015, 10:30 am   #38
Station X

I've received mine and it worked "straight out of the box". All I had to do was reconfigure my flat screen monitor to 16:9 aspect ratio. My existing home built Windows XP machine was so old that it could only output 4:3. I haven't investigated the HDMI option as I'm not sure whether my monitor supports it. It may do so as it's much younger than the old PC.

Thanks to Dave for making these machines available and dealing with the logistics of getting them all to their new owners.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 15th Oct 2015, 10:40 am   #39
David Church
Hexode

Cheers for that Graham

There are still some left if anyone is still thinking about one and I have box's to ship them now
Old 16th Oct 2015, 7:04 am   #40
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Another happy camper here, thanks Dave. I'd recommend one to anyone still using W98/2000/XP/Stoneage PC, there's a bit of breaking in period trying to work out where Microsoft have hidden things though : ). That said it's a lot quicker and starts/turns off quickly too- nice machines.

Andy.