UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2014, 11:05 pm   #81
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Gerry Wells 1929 - 2014

I was so sorry to hear of Gerry's death. I met him in 2011 when my wife and I paid a visit to the Museum. I've read 'Obsession' and watched 'Valveman', and if anyone deserved the accolade "wireless expert" then it was Gerry. Such a quiet, knowledgeable yet gentle man who was absolutely devoted to his work, and so welcoming to visitors.

My condolences go to his family and close friends.

“The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum” - Havelock Ellis
Old 30th Dec 2014, 1:02 am   #82
RogerWalker
Pentode

So sad to hear of the passing of Gerry Wells. Such a giant of our industry.
Roger

Last edited by AC/HL; 30th Dec 2014 at 1:31 am. Reason: Thread split
Old 30th Dec 2014, 3:54 am   #83
Mistyparrot
Diode

I am so sad to hear this news. Gerry was such a wonderful and welcoming man, Always ready with the tea pot for the visitors and so free with his knowledge and help. A remarkable and kind man. He will be missed so very much. My deep condolences to his family and close friends.
He has left a remarkable and historic legacy. I hope it will be protected and that his wonderful museum will continue its great work saving our technological heritage.
He was one of the few who understood that with the onward march of technology the older pieces risked being lost to the breakers and dumps for ever. He knew the value of preserving what others saw as just old junk.
Thank you Gerry Wells. Thank you so very much for dedicating your life so that younger generations may come to understand how our modern technological age came to be.
R I P

Steve Lane
Old 30th Dec 2014, 10:38 pm   #84
Magic Eye
Pentode

Very sad news indeed.
I met Gerry and Eileen a few years ago when Gerry spent a whole morning showing my dad and me around the museum. It was very interesting, and clear how knowledgeable and dedicated he was. A visit I will never forget as my dad is no longer with us either.
My sincere condolences to Eileen.

Jon
Old 31st Dec 2014, 9:42 am   #85
mister valve
Pentode

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Gerry Wells.
I met Gerry a few years ago when I went to his House and he showed me around his fantastic Radio Museum. Afterwards we sat down at his Kitchen Table, drinking Tea and chatting about various faults we had found on different sets we had repaired over the years. Lovely man - very enthusiastic and dedicated to his work. Will be greatly missed.

John
Old 31st Dec 2014, 11:46 am   #86
Refugee
Dekatron

It has been a sad holiday and I do know how we all feel.
I lost my father yesterday to parkinsons disease after he had been stuck in a wheel chair for three years.
It was not shocking for my family but all the same a sad holiday.
Old 31st Dec 2014, 1:16 pm   #87
paulsherwin

While very sorry to hear of the death of your dad, I would ask all members to try to stay on topic in this thread.
Old 31st Dec 2014, 8:24 pm   #88
Refugee
Dekatron

I agree. We will keep it to PMs.
Old 1st Jan 2015, 9:36 pm   #89
Andy Day
Pentode

Another wise old head lost. Smashing bloke, will be missed by many.
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 6:07 pm   #90
longneck90
Hexode

Re - The sad passing away of Gerry Wells. Thanks to Nickthedentist for pointing out the error of my earlier post. My hope is that I haven't offended anyone, and sorry if I have. I offer all the friends and family of Gerry Wells, my condolences, and he will be sorely missed by the vintage radio community. John.
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 11:40 pm   #91
murphymad
Heptode

Hello Everyone,

The Funeral has been arranged and will be held on Tuesday 6th January.

It was Gerry's wish that his funeral was not a large event.
With his wishes in mind, Eileen has chosen to keep the funeral to a small number of Gerry's family and closest friends.
It will be a ceremony with Gerry's favourite music.
However, Gerry knew that many people may wish to come and so there will be an occasion organised in the coming months where everyone will be welcome to come along and celebrate Gerry's life.

At this time, there is no set date or format, but a few good ideas are being thought about. Things that Gerry himself would have enjoyed so you can be sure there will be plenty of music, vintage radio, vintage television, high voltages, sparks, pops and bangs. Maybe a few glasses of sherry too!

I will post here to let you all know just as soon as anything has been arranged.

Mike...
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 1:48 am   #92
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This forum will be closed at the time of Gerry's funeral on Tuesday, as a mark of respect. The actual time will be announced an hour or so beforehand. I'm sure with Mike's post above everyone will understand why we are not divulging the time now.

I have copied Mike's post above and this post to the formal announcement thread.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 10:19 am   #93
slidertogrid
Heptode

I met Gerry in 1992 when he restored a very rough AD65 for me, I also bought one of his reproduction Peter pan sets, he signed and dated it for me on the bottom. I have always treasured it. He was a real inspiration to me and proved that nothing was impossible when it came to restoring and repairing radios .
R.I.P Gerry.
Rich.
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 6:39 pm   #94
n_highfield
Tetrode

Haven't logged on to this forum for some time, what sad news to come back to.

My condolences to all concerned.

NHH

BVWS member
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 9:54 pm   #95
Valvepower
Heptode

Hi All,

In respect of Gerry we could all be listening or watching something the hour of his funereal on the 6th, when the forum is closed, using that piece of favourite or treasured vintage gear, which could be a crystal set, AD65, A46, radiogram, audio set up using ‘grown up’ valves, TV22, BRC3000, Dansette, trannie or whatever you feel is appropriate from your collection etc. etc.

Just an idea....

Regards
Terry.
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 10:10 pm   #96
BobGreen
Rest in Peace

I was only once at his impressive museum and table sale event in Dulwich. He told me that the building directly behind his garden had been a Pye TMC factory during WWll and was heavily defended with barrage balloons and all sorts of anti aircraft measures. Why? because it was a major producer of our MK53 VT shell fuses which were not VT at all but advanced radio proximity devices which, together with our AA tracking radar, stopped the Luftwaffe from daring to fly over Blighty. Apart from all that Gerry is a great loss to our radio heritage.

RIP Gerry
Old 6th Jan 2015, 1:05 pm   #97
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As a mark of respect this forum will be closed for the duration of Gerry's funeral this afternoon, 2pm to 4pm (GMT).

Paul Stenning
Old 6th Jan 2015, 5:00 pm   #98
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thank you everyone.

Paul Stenning
Old 7th Jan 2015, 7:56 pm   #99
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Gerry's funeral was of course a sad occasion but also a very uplifting one.
The splendid simple service was light and friendly reflecting Gerry's life and achievements, mixed of course with a little comedy that Gerry would have very much appreciated.
As expected it was attended by family and the many friends of the museum and I would estimate that around 200 people attended with a huge crowd returning to Rosendale Road. Good food and drink was provided that catered for every taste.
There was much chat recalling many hours spent with Gerry lovingly pumping life into appalling piles of radio junk brought to him during the enjoyable days back in the old school room. [Now the television room.]
The spread was very enjoyable provided by Eileen, her daughter and helpers. A selection of 78's were played in the front room of a character that Gerry would have enjoyed.
On behalf of Eileen I would like to thank all those that attended, supported Gerry during this difficult period with his failing health and the many that sent get well cards during his hospitalization that Gerry was delighted to receive. John Wakely.
Old 7th Jan 2015, 8:04 pm   #100
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have copied the above post to the announcement thread. Thank you John.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread