UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 20th Feb 2024, 7:43 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default 3D Printing in TPU wanted

With Alan Bain and factory's help I've got a 3D file of the Tektronix 2445 feet, which on my 'scope are crumbling. The maker suggests TPU as a semi-rubbery approximation to the original.

Assuming someone round here has a suitable 3D printer, is anyone willing and able to flex their muscles and print me a couple? I know I can get some done by a commercial outfit, but I thought I'd ask here first. I'm willing to pay, of course.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2024, 8:35 pm   #2
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: 3D Printing in TPU wanted

Although I was given a 3D printer recently, I've yet to get everything 'up & running', so I can't offer to make them for you. I did wonder though, could JLCPCB maybe be an option ? They make excellent, and low cost, pcb's from a set of gerbers, and I know they now also offer 3D printing to order (JLC3DP), probably also to a very high quality ?

Just a thought anyway,
Alan
Goldie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2024, 10:04 pm   #3
ScottishColin
Octode

Happy to help - PM me. I currently have Blue and Grey TPU rolls.

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
With Alan Bain and factory's help I've got a 3D file of the Tektronix 2445 feet, which on my 'scope are crumbling. The maker suggests TPU as a semi-rubbery approximation to the original.

Assuming someone round here has a suitable 3D printer, is anyone willing and able to flex their muscles and print me a couple? I know I can get some done by a commercial outfit, but I thought I'd ask here first. I'm willing to pay, of course.
ScottishColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2024, 7:14 pm   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thank you both - Goldie99, I am uneasy about the very cheap prices offered by these circuit houses (I read this Eurocircuits post a while back and try to do my bit), but thank you for the suggestion. When you see the result I think you'll be enthused to set up your printer!

In the event, ScottishColin has done a sterling job. I've attached some pictures for future reference. The back plate comes off to remove the feet. The only real difference is that the originals had metal inserts moulded in, so I've put a washer under the heads of the four rear screws to spread the force. Additionally there's a screw that goes into a threaded insert from the back in the centre of each foot. However, it doesn't feel flimsy without this screw, and if it does I'll try a self-tapper in its place.

I'm amazed at the capability of the printing and very grateful for the speed and generosity of ScottishColin who's printed these for me. What a nice bunch of decent people congregate around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240226_173237.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	293673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240226_173300.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	293674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240226_173313.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	293675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240226_175322.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	293676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240226_175335.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	293677  

Old 26th Feb 2024, 7:28 pm   #5
factory
Octode

They look very nice, think I prefer the grey to the originals too.
If you want the pictures to remain on the forum for future reference, you should post them in the workshop/test gear section, anything posted in the parts wanted is only available temporarily before periodic deletion.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2024, 7:31 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Of course; good idea. Yes, the grey is in the same sort of area as the Tektronix colour so doesn't look at all bad. The material is noticeably more flexible than the frangible originals. The front ones must be made of something else as they don't appear to be suffering the same deterioration.
Old 26th Feb 2024, 9:44 pm   #7
ScottishColin
Octode

I'm pleased they fit so well. And having seen it, grey was a better choice that slightly sparkly blue.....

Colin.
ScottishColin is offline   Reply With Quote