UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2021, 9:05 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Modified Tripletone EL84 amp

How nice to see this photo! Forgive me for being picky, but that stereo amplifier comes from 1962, possibly 1963.
Old 8th May 2021, 9:11 am   #22
Kyri
Tetrode

I am in possession of this little amp which Roger kindly fixed up for me (recapped, and got it working). When I first acquired the amp, it was housed in a metal box and had some modifications done to it (mic trans) which I have since removed. It was pretty rusty, too.

Some time before this, I actually got another Tripletone in much better condition which had been recapped, but pretty much original. Beautiful little thing.

My first intention was to use the first TT for a guitar amp, so I went to the trouble of making a box, using some old cloth offcuts and it actually worked quite well. However in my journey into vintage amps for hifi use, once I discovered the "other" TT and having read about coupling them up I pulled the amp out of the cab. Once I had them together I found that despite a different preamp line up they sound almost exactly the same!

Anyway, I am still debating whether to try and physically join them as intended, and use the original (lovely) control knobs for which I only have one set, on the front one.

Having read up in other threads about coupling them together, I would love to do that but can't at the moment for two reasons. The 2nd one (which had the mic trans) would have to be in front because its pot shafts have been shortened, the amount of modifications now in the way of where the pot shafts need to go, would be a real pain to re-route.

If I put the one in better condition in front, I would still need to re-route some stuff to get access for the pot shafts even if I found or made some special adaptors to cope with the shortened shafts.

In the meantime, I cleaned up the rust as best I can (might repaint the transformer) and have added 1A fuses, some input and output connectors on the back of them, and bolted them both to a bit of ply which I could upgrade to some exotic wood structure if I keep them this way.

Here is a picture of my "double-tripletone". I am glad to have them. Also the guitar cab which is now an extension speaker.

Great threads on this forum about the Tripletones, good reads - Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tripletone wem cab.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	233518   Click image for larger version

Name:	double triple tones.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	233519   Click image for larger version

Name:	double triple tones2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	233520  
Old 8th May 2021, 10:00 am   #23
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

How nice to see these. I would use them just as they are. Without the 5 pots being coupled together, you will have an infinite variety of control options to ensure perfect balance and tonal adjustment. This is even more important when, as with this particular Tripletone circuit, you do need to use all 3 tone controls near to their maximum "boost" settings. Also, it will run cooler.
Old 12th May 2021, 1:52 pm   #24
qualityten
Octode

That chassis looks very much like those used by Beam Echo/Avantic.
Old 12th May 2021, 4:52 pm   #25
Kyri
Tetrode

I really like these amps. I have been trying various old speakers with them. A set of Goodmans Mezzo 2 are excellent, probably my favourite for full sound but heavy wooden beasts that you really need the space for. Space saving is not my priority so its fine. Another option is a set of speakers I put together myself, which are smaller and much more like monitors. They are super clear, sparkly even, due to the tweeters and smaller size.
Old 12th May 2021, 5:27 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

My old mate at Servio Radio would have been tickled pink at reading these good comments all these years later. It's a simple amp giving well above 'record player' quality. I'm a great believer in keeping it simple. it's probably an age thing. I have no idea if he is still with us but if he is he must be into his late 90s. John.
Old 14th May 2021, 12:08 pm   #27
Kyri
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
How nice to see these. I would use them just as they are. Without the 5 pots being coupled together, you will have an infinite variety of control options to ensure perfect balance and tonal adjustment. This is even more important when, as with this particular Tripletone circuit, you do need to use all 3 tone controls near to their maximum "boost" settings. Also, it will run cooler.
Well, Edward you will be pleased to know I have decided to keep them side by side, for reasons including those you stated. After reading the thread about a £13000 turntable I got the idea to improve the ply mount by deepening it and veneering it which I am currently in the process of doing. Pictures to follow when I have something to share.

Cheers!
Kyri
Old 14th May 2021, 5:42 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Great news! In my experience of this particular Tripletone version a nice tonal combination (Jazz/Easy Listening) is to turn the Bass to near maximum (a near full turn to the right), the Middle backed off a bit and the Treble about half way. The EL84 in this (with it's smallish OPTX) can sound a bit "peaky" bearing in mind there is no NFB. See what you think, just a suggestion.