UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2021, 2:26 pm   #21
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: Valve identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Valve 2 possibly a 35Z5G, these had a tap part-way along the heater for dial lamp shunting, a clever/weird/devious way of keeping the radio going if the lamp failed in a series-string arrangement. Made for the US market with AA5s in mind. There were also other similar rectifiers with a range of heater voltages but the 35V version was widespread
I came across the 35z5g, but couldn't find a Raytheon valve pic that wasn't the GT version. I think a 35z5g remains the most likely option regardless. Thank you.

Is Raytheon the same company that's now a military defence contractor in the US? - patriot missiles and so forth
Old 12th May 2021, 2:28 pm   #22
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
On the triode pentode (?) Solus valve, there looks to be a Mullard / Philips Blackburn code. Can you see 2 or 3 letters / numbers above the ''B8F'' ?
I'll need to check again, but I don't think there was any readable code. I'll have a second look
Old 12th May 2021, 2:41 pm   #23
Gabe001
Octode

How about this one then? Probably an easier one than the others

Valve 5, a mullard, with PC***?8 or 3

My guess is a mullard pcl88

Thanks again to all those who contributed
Gabriel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210511_165909.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	233852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210511_165917.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	233853  
Old 12th May 2021, 3:05 pm   #24
barrymagrec
Octode

Pcl83?

sorry, meant PCL82.
Old 12th May 2021, 3:36 pm   #25
snowman_al
Octode

I think it is a PCL86. The triode is apart from the pentode structure.
Valve Museum picture .
Again there is a Philips / Mullard etch code visible. What is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCL86.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	233860  
Old 12th May 2021, 3:42 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

PCL85/PCL805 TV frame output valve:

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/abt0019.htm

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/acg0056.htm

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0382.htm

?

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 12th May 2021 at 3:58 pm. Reason: link and info added
Old 12th May 2021, 3:58 pm   #27
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Re the dekatron: The number is quite logical --

'G' = Gas filled. 'V' would be 'Vacuum', as for trochotrons and the like.

'S' = Selector. This means all 10 cathodes are brought out to separate pins so you can use it to drive other things. 'C' would be 'counter' meaning cathode 0 is brought out to use as carry output, but the other 9 are strapped together, the only way to read the count is to look at the end of the tube.

'10' = 10 states.

It actually has 13 external connections, the 10 cathodes, the 2 sets of guide electrodes and the anode. The last is brought out to the metal cap in the centre of the base.

I have an old ETL databook on the shelf, I possibly have the data sheet for this valve.
Old 12th May 2021, 4:01 pm   #28
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
I think it is a PCL86. The triode is apart from the pentode structure.
Valve Museum picture .
Again there is a Philips / Mullard etch code visible. What is it?
Oh yes it shows up better in the pictures than actually looking at it. I'll have another look
Old 12th May 2021, 4:13 pm   #29
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Re the dekatron: The number is quite logical --

'G' = Gas filled. 'V' would be 'Vacuum', as for trochotrons and the like.

'S' = Selector. This means all 10 cathodes are brought out to separate pins so you can use it to drive other things. 'C' would be 'counter' meaning cathode 0 is brought out to use as carry output, but the other 9 are strapped together, the only way to read the count is to look at the end of the tube.

'10' = 10 states.

It actually has 13 external connections, the 10 cathodes, the 2 sets of guide electrodes and the anode. The last is brought out to the metal cap in the centre of the base.

I have an old ETL databook on the shelf, I possibly have the data sheet for this valve.
Is it broadly like a Nixie tube conceptually? 13 connections, gas filled and separate pins for each cathode.
Old 12th May 2021, 4:23 pm   #30
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Not really. A nixe tube is a display device with shaped cathodes. You ground one cathode at a time, it lights up in the tube and you see something that looks like a glowing digit.

A dekatron is actually a counter tube. It's a sequential device. Basically you have a discharge on one cathode, you would see a little orange glow at a particular position looking at the end of the tube. By sequencing the 2 guide electrode pins you can move the discharge round to the next cathode. And so on. So it's a 10 state counter and can be used as such, either to count pulses, divide a frequency by 10, or control other circuits one after another,

There were 2 classes of dekatrons fron ETL. The 'GC10' series were plain counters. They would step as above, and you could get a carry pulse from them as they passed zero to increment the next digit. You would mount them so the end of the tube was visible on the front panel of the instrument, there was a little numbered ring bezel to go round them. Thus you had a pulse counter which you read out by looking at the tubes and seeing which digit on the bezel had a glowing cathode next to it.

The GS10 series, which is what you have, are more versatile. You can use them as above, but also each cathode is wired to a separate pin so you can read them out electrically. I guess you could drive a nixie tube from one with some more electronics. You could certainly use it to control circuits so that the first circuit operates, then after a pulse to the GS10 the second circuit operates, and so on.
Old 12th May 2021, 5:00 pm   #31
Gabe001
Octode

Thanks Tony, I get it now (I think)
Gabriel
Old 12th May 2021, 6:49 pm   #32
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
I ended up with a large haul of valves from a house clearance.

I've been going through them and making a spreadsheet. A few valves have lost their markings, so I wonder if any valve guru here could attempt a spot diagnosis. If not, it doesn't matter too much.

Valve 1 is quite particular. It contains multicoloured wires and 12 pins and is marked GS 105 (I think) but Google isn't any help. It looks like a magic eye of sorts, or maybe it's for TV?
It reminds me of a photomultiplier tube used to detect / measure extremly low light levels. Used in scintllation counters for measuring low level radiation and also spectrophotometers in chemical analysis.
Old 12th May 2021, 6:50 pm   #33
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
I ended up with a large haul of valves from a house clearance.

I've been going through them and making a spreadsheet. A few valves have lost their markings, so I wonder if any valve guru here could attempt a spot diagnosis. If not, it doesn't matter too much.

Valve 1 is quite particular. It contains multicoloured wires and 12 pins and is marked GS 105 (I think) but Google isn't any help. It looks like a magic eye of sorts, or maybe it's for TV?
The first picture reminds me of a photomultiplier tube used to detect / measure extremly low light levels. Used in scintllation counters for measuring low level radiation and also spectrophotometers in chemical analysis.
Old 13th May 2021, 3:40 pm   #34
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Valve 2 is by Raytheon and looks like a half wave rectifier to me. No other markings visible, and Google again wasn't particularly helpful
That 35Z5G valve is even rare here! There was a strange group of valves made for, IIRC Zenith, possibly made by Raytheon. It was used in a limited group of AA5's around 1939/40. One or two models of sets to use a molded bakelite chassis instead of sheet steel.
That set was a great embarrassment to Zenth and rumor has it that the manufacturer recalled many and destroyed them. Why they started using the "G" type valves, when everyone else used either metal or GT type 150ma AA5 types.
Dave, USradcoll1, a result of my misspent youth.
Closed Thread