UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2021, 9:39 pm   #1
mitajohn
Pentode

Default PHILIPS EL3301 restoration.

There are many threads in this forum about the legendary cassette recorder PHILIPS EL3301 of the 60s.

Many members are collectors of this recorder and they know very well this apparatus.

I own one from 1963 more or less in good order due to its age.

During the pandemic lock-down I took some time for its restoration after I found out a lot of dried electrolytic caps which affected the sound output level. The most difficult part was the replacement of the axial cap under the two pots but I managed to replace it.

During the restoration process I order also a set of new belts, now waiting to arrive, but I found out that the VUmeter/battery indicator was out of order. I checked of its resistance but its an open circuit and also the needle is stuck somewhere in its travel. Restoration of this tiny meter I think is impossible and out of my skills. I'm asking you to recommend any source for its replacement. Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3301_VUmeter.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	230317  
Old 27th Mar 2021, 9:46 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: PHILIPS EL3301 restoration.

Prob same as on the EL3302, a scrapper may be out there to rob from
Old 28th Mar 2021, 1:18 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

I had this problem on one of my tandbergs, the coiled spring has snapped. A forum member kindly sent me one from a scrap unit.

Since this model sold in such large numbers, you're sure to find a scrap unit to use for spares. Even these days, I keep finding them at the local fleamarket for around 5 euros.

There were some minor cosmetic changes from the early to the later productions, but barely noticeable and inside it seems they're all the same basic meter.
Old 28th Mar 2021, 4:14 pm   #4
mitajohn
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Since this model sold in such large numbers, you're sure to find a scrap unit to use for spares. Even these days, I keep finding them at the local fleamarket for around 5 euros.

There were some minor cosmetic changes from the early to the later productions, but barely noticeable and inside it seems they're all the same basic meter.
Yes. There are some options in ebay but a bit expensive and there in no warranty if the meter is OK.
Old 8th May 2021, 1:28 pm   #5
mitajohn
Pentode

Finally I got a "scrap" EL3301 and a spare meter for some Euros. The "scrap" unit after I opened it up I realized that was not so scrap after all! I carefully removed the sticky goo of the belts remnant and checked the electronics, cleaned it and lubricated it. It seemed in good condition for its age. I installed a spare set of belts and loaded a cassette. It sounded not so good. It needed an azimuth adjustment as well as speed adjustment. I performed both and it turned to sound good connected to an amplifier via its line-out. I replaced then the broken meter of the other EL3301 with the the spare one. Now I have two EL3301 in good condition. My advice to those who intent to replace a broken EL3301 meter is not to try to desolder the wires from the new meter tags. You probably will ruin the meter. Cut the wires instead and connect them to the remaining wires of EL3301.

Last edited by mitajohn; 8th May 2021 at 1:41 pm.
Old 8th May 2021, 11:10 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Glad you got some good results there and thanks for sharing that solder tip!
Closed Thread