UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2021, 7:57 pm   #41
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: 32 year old Sharp microwave oven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortek_service View Post
Although newer Microwaves are often more powerful 800W+
Whereas my > 35yr old (used daily and original Magnetron) Sharp is only around 600W, but doesn't seem to have noticeably dropped-off in performance.
I think it's more the measurement method changing as Richard mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortek_service View Post
Using more-powerful ones, when used to using lower-powered ones, can take getting used to when trying to gently heat something. As power-control is just on-off duty-cycling over a 'heat & cool-down' long-period, unless it's an expensive PWM Inverter type that early ones frequently failed..
The inverter types did seem to push the magnetron harder, the first thing I used to check for on Panasonic inverter ones was cracked magnets.

The inverter boards were sent back on a new for old replacement service, but it was quite expensive, and I tried to repair them to component level, but I found it impossible to source the IGBTs in those early days.
Old 3rd May 2021, 8:22 pm   #42
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Out of interest I just checked my 10 year old Prestige microwave rated at 800W and it still checks out at 800W
Old 3rd May 2021, 8:50 pm   #43
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

If the OP requires any microwave oven capacitors or diodes or mica sheet, I have a few laying about the place from back when I did oven shop repairs.
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:22 pm   #44
Lancs Lad
Heptode

That's very kind, bigfathairyvika! Thankyou so much.

However, I don't think I'm competent (or confident!) enough to attempt a repair myself, but it's good to know there are spare components available.

Thanks, also, to everyone who has been kind enough to offer advice and comments.

This is why I love UKVRRR. Such a wealth of information, given by friendly, knowledgeable people.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 3rd May 2021 at 10:50 pm.
Closed Thread